What DIY preamp for high output type MC cart? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What DIY preamp for high output type MC cart?

I don't follow this forum often, and "MC" can't be searched on, so I was hoping for some help.

I just ordered a high output type MC cartridge, the type which can work with an MM preamp.

My question is related to what is the recommended or optimized type of phono preamp with this kind of cartridge? In other words, would an MC type preamp still be best because of low noise or input impedance? Would an MM type preamp be best? Or would some kind of DIY effort, say taking an MC design and cutting gain, be best?
Old 14th December 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default What DIY preamp for high output type MC cart?

Wayne Colburn's "Pearl Phono Stage" would be a suitable and pretty good preamp, article should still be on passdiy.com. The Alephono MM stage may be even slightly better, though more complex.

Or: Any of a number of tube phone preamps, including maybe a FVP5 set to lower gain, the D3A phono preamp by Andrea Ciuffola, etc..

My candidates, in no particular order ...
Old 15th December 2009, 08:58 PM   #3
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Pearl Phono Two

P.S. Just stumbled across this thread: Pearl Two
Old 15th December 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
R.I.P.

Leadbelly,
You need a preamp that won't overload on the hi output of your cart - so a pure MC pre will have too much gain and almost certainly be moving into overload, if not there most of the time.

47k would be the correct loading.

I'd (naturally) suggest a tube preamp - there are lots of choices, but make sure you dump any MC step-up traffo - simply not needed.

Regards, Allen

Hide this!Advertise here!