What DIY preamp for high output type MC cart?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't follow this forum often, and "MC" can't be searched on, so I was hoping for some help.

I just ordered a high output type MC cartridge, the type which can work with an MM preamp.

My question is related to what is the recommended or optimized type of phono preamp with this kind of cartridge? In other words, would an MC type preamp still be best because of low noise or input impedance? Would an MM type preamp be best? Or would some kind of DIY effort, say taking an MC design and cutting gain, be best?

Wayne Colburn's "Pearl Phono Stage" would be a suitable and pretty good preamp, article should still be on passdiy.com. The Alephono MM stage may be even slightly better, though more complex.

Or: Any of a number of tube phone preamps, including maybe a FVP5 set to lower gain, the D3A phono preamp by Andrea Ciuffola, etc..

My candidates, in no particular order ...

Leadbelly,
You need a preamp that won't overload on the hi output of your cart - so a pure MC pre will have too much gain and almost certainly be moving into overload, if not there most of the time.

47k would be the correct loading.

I'd (naturally) suggest a tube preamp - there are lots of choices, but make sure you dump any MC step-up traffo - simply not needed.

Regards, Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.