do you think OK to wax a vinyl ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do, I already waxed most of my vinyl, because it sound good. the idea come from the first step to make vinyl is cut on a wax plate, a very very thin layer of wax on the top of vinyl will lubricate the needle as well reproduce same condition in cutting, I did try a lot of material for this purpose finally 10 drops of car wax to a bottle of car window cleaner(picture 1) shake well make it milky from clear will do the job. I use my home made vinyl cleaning machine (picture 2) for application, let surface wet through with wax solution brush it for a while, use paper tower clean the solution out, and polish by a vinyl vacuum machine(picture 3), you will have a brand new vinyl looking .
listen to the same vinyl before wax and after, you will have the answer
Tony KY Ma

Attachments

• Systems of Equations Sheet 24 025.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 025.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 024.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 024.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 026.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 026.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 313
Wax is the second part of it. cleaning first, my home made cleaner is a cheap turntable ($20) with tone arm, take off the head shell, place with a pad brush and add weight, liquid, I use same car window cleaner without wax. after brush, I use a portable air compressor to blow the liquid off start from inside to outside , but the blow gun tip has to be a very small hole for stronger air flow. next is wax, but do not blow off the wax solution use paper towel . first paper towel off the most ,you will see white wax remain on, second flesh paper towel clean the rest by press down, and then polish by hand or machine
Tony KY Ma

Attachments

• Systems of Equations Sheet 24 023.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 023.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 271
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 027.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 027.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 267
Hi George
Try a vinyl that is not too important to you, and taste the different of sound quality, you will find more smooth sound, as long as the wax layer is really really thin enough
the detail of music will still there only less noise, more important is sound more close to live one
regard Tony

I personally would not wax a vinyl. I would be worried about the damage to the needle. And I don`t have any reason to do it, vinyl sounds good as it is.
I rather just clean the records with record cleaning machine or a brush.
I know a lot people don't agree with me, I been testing for a long time, and in different materials, as long as the layer of wax is really really very thin enough, no ham to the needle and make good slide too, then come out sound different, more live and smooth on bonus less dust and statics, you will have the answer after you try
Tony

I know a lot people don't agree with me, I been testing for a long time, and in different materials, as long as the layer of wax is really really very thin enough, no ham to the needle and make good slide too, then come out sound different, more live and smooth on bonus less dust and statics, you will have the answer after you try
Tony

A couple things concern me about this. Does the wax accumulate on the stylus? And that leads to the question - how can you remove the wax completely without affecting the vinyl or your stylus? Also, I'm not sure something like Armor All wouldn't react chemically with the vinyl over the long term, so ten years down the road you might get a big surprise when you try to play vinyl that was treated with it. Can you address these concerns?

A couple things concern me about this. Does the wax accumulate on the stylus? And that leads to the question - how can you remove the wax completely without affecting the vinyl or your stylus? Also, I'm not sure something like Armor All wouldn't react chemically with the vinyl over the long term, so ten years down the road you might get a big surprise when you try to play vinyl that was treated with it. Can you address these concerns?
The idea is come from when make a LP, first from master tape to cutter cut on a wax plate, now if a layer of wax in between vinyl and needle will back to cutting condition, at the beginning of trying, there was a lot of problems, layer too thick , wax dug out by the needle, but in the final made solution, no more problem, even if I use the blow gun to blow the solution off, it look like nothing remain because it sound the same before, until I use paper towel to clean the most water a very little white wax remain and polish then sound different, for future who knows I will enjoy right now because I am over 62 already!
Tony KY Ma

The idea is come from when make a LP, first from master tape to cutter cut on a wax plate, now if a layer of wax in between vinyl and needle will back to cutting condition, at the beginning of trying, there was a lot of problems, layer too thick , wax dug out by the needle, but in the final made solution, no more problem, even if I use the blow gun to blow the solution off, it look like nothing remain because it sound the same before, until I use paper towel to clean the most water a very little white wax remain and polish then sound different, for future who knows I will enjoy right now because I am over 62 already!
Tony KY Ma

hi tony,
I use RL of record laboratory usa: one for vynils and other for acetate 78 rpm. Some times put 2/3 drops of car polish in distilled water as pre-washing and then the alcoholic liquid by RL. Here you are some ideas for magic solution...
moz-screenshot.png
[FONT=Arial,]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]The following recipes are for a 4 liter (1 gallon) solution unless otherwise stated. [/FONT]

Steven Rochlin's recipes Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 1 part 1 part isopropyl none 1 part 1 part isopropyl a drop of Triton X-100 1 quart (~ 1 liter) 1/2 quart denatured 10 drops Photoflo 3 parts 1 part denatured a few drops 3 parts 1 part rubbing a few drops 4 parts 1 part ethanol some (Genie in the Bottle)
Laura Dearborn's recipe Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 3 parts 1 part isopropyl 1 drop Triton X-114 or Monolan 2000
Don Roderick's recipe Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 4 parts 1 part isopropyl (91%) 7-8 drops dishwashing detergent w/o additives
[FONT=Arial,]. [/FONT] Keith Monks's recipe (TAS) Distilled water Alcohol + Detergent 1 part 1 part denatured alcohol (90% ethyl, 9.5% methyl, .5% pyridine)
Jonathan Scull's recipe (Stereophile) Distilled water Alcohol Detergents 3 parts 1 part NON-lanolin isopropyl 10 drops Photo-Flo + 10 drops "Direct" tile cleaner

Surely Wax cut master discs became obselete in the 1950,s!
Most record masters are cut into cellulose nitrate on aluminium, apart from DMM masters cut directly into copper.
I have cleaned some records in the past, but mostly they were filthy second hand examples from car boot sales.
I used washing detergent solution, and a record cleaning brush. The solution was then removed under moderate pressure by washing in a domestic shower!
The water in our area is very soft, so I did not rinse with distilled water, but merely dabbed off the excess with a tissue.
I found this gives good results, and will rescue a disc that was unplayable.
I would be very cautious about the application of any treatments or lubricants after cleaning.
The best way I know to reduce surface noise is to use a quality record player and stylus!
There is no doubt in my mind that cleaning can improve the sound of a record.
New records are usually contaminated by a layer of release agent used in the stamping process. This layer can cause dulling of the sound with repeated playing. The difficulty is causing less damage by cleaning than the original contaminant.:eek:

hi tony,
I use RL of record laboratory usa: one for vynils and other for acetate 78 rpm. Some times put 2/3 drops of car polish in distilled water as pre-washing and then the alcoholic liquid by RL. Here you are some ideas for magic solution...
moz-screenshot.png
[FONT=Arial,]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]The following recipes are for a 4 liter (1 gallon) solution unless otherwise stated. [/FONT]

Steven Rochlin's recipes Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 1 part 1 part isopropyl none 1 part 1 part isopropyl a drop of Triton X-100 1 quart (~ 1 liter) 1/2 quart denatured 10 drops Photoflo 3 parts 1 part denatured a few drops 3 parts 1 part rubbing a few drops 4 parts 1 part ethanol some (Genie in the Bottle)
Laura Dearborn's recipe Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 3 parts 1 part isopropyl 1 drop Triton X-114 or Monolan 2000
Don Roderick's recipe Distilled water Alcohol Detergent 4 parts 1 part isopropyl (91%) 7-8 drops dishwashing detergent w/o additives
[FONT=Arial,]. [/FONT] Keith Monks's recipe (TAS) Distilled water Alcohol + Detergent 1 part 1 part denatured alcohol (90% ethyl, 9.5% methyl, .5% pyridine)
Jonathan Scull's recipe (Stereophile) Distilled water Alcohol Detergents 3 parts 1 part NON-lanolin isopropyl 10 drops Photo-Flo + 10 drops "Direct" tile cleaner
Thank you Luigi, recently I rare to play with vinyl because I am try to design a repro amp for STUDER A810 for playing tapes that recorded by ourselves and The Tape Project's copy, last time I only did change the out-put section into tube of A810 it sound big different, most Studer's modles are transistor with a lot caps in coupling but tape sound still the
best
Tony KY Ma

I do, I already waxed most of my vinyl, because it sound good. the idea come from the first step to make vinyl is cut on a wax plate, a very very thin layer of wax on the top of vinyl will lubricate the needle as well reproduce same condition in cutting, I did try a lot of material for this purpose finally 10 drops of car wax to a bottle of car window cleaner(picture 1) shake well make it milky from clear will do the job. I use my home made vinyl cleaning machine (picture 2) for application, let surface wet through with wax solution brush it for a while, use paper tower clean the solution out, and polish by a vinyl vacuum machine(picture 3), you will have a brand new vinyl looking .
listen to the same vinyl before wax and after, you will have the answer
Tony KY Ma

Where's the wax? Armor-All is not wax.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.