do you think OK to wax a vinyl ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default do you think OK to wax a vinyl ?

I do, I already waxed most of my vinyl, because it sound good. the idea come from the first step to make vinyl is cut on a wax plate, a very very thin layer of wax on the top of vinyl will lubricate the needle as well reproduce same condition in cutting, I did try a lot of material for this purpose finally 10 drops of car wax to a bottle of car window cleaner(picture 1) shake well make it milky from clear will do the job. I use my home made vinyl cleaning machine (picture 2) for application, let surface wet through with wax solution brush it for a while, use paper tower clean the solution out, and polish by a vinyl vacuum machine(picture 3), you will have a brand new vinyl looking .
listen to the same vinyl before wax and after, you will have the answer
Tony KY Ma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 025.jpg (81.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 024.jpg (87.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 026.jpg (82.4 KB, 288 views)
Old 15th December 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I would be cautious to do this because dust particles migh stick in the wax forever.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wax is the second part of it. cleaning first, my home made cleaner is a cheap turntable ($20) with tone arm, take off the head shell, place with a pad brush and add weight, liquid, I use same car window cleaner without wax. after brush, I use a portable air compressor to blow the liquid off start from inside to outside , but the blow gun tip has to be a very small hole for stronger air flow. next is wax, but do not blow off the wax solution use paper towel . first paper towel off the most ,you will see white wax remain on, second flesh paper towel clean the rest by press down, and then polish by hand or machine
Tony KY Ma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 023.jpg (81.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 027.jpg (79.2 KB, 245 views)
Old 15th December 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Geosto is offline Geosto  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I think it is not a good idea to use wax.
It will close all the small gabs on the vinyl and the micro information that is in there will not be heard again.

Be careful with the blow gun you can damage your hearing.

Regards George
Old 15th December 2009, 10:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi George
Try a vinyl that is not too important to you, and taste the different of sound quality, you will find more smooth sound, as long as the wax layer is really really thin enough
the detail of music will still there only less noise, more important is sound more close to live one
regard Tony
Old 15th December 2009, 11:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Automotive and household window cleaners have Ammonia in them, and they react badly with plastics.
Use some inert dilutant, like water or something.
If you want to try something, give Armor-All a go (silicon based will really let it slide) or even better Rain-x Original Glass Treatment

Cheers George
Old 16th December 2009, 12:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi George
Yes That is my final choice Armor-All too for best result
Tony KY Ma
Old 29th December 2009, 04:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I personally would not wax a vinyl. I would be worried about the damage to the needle. And I don`t have any reason to do it, vinyl sounds good as it is.
I rather just clean the records with record cleaning machine or a brush.
Old 29th December 2009, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.corleone View Post
I personally would not wax a vinyl. I would be worried about the damage to the needle. And I don`t have any reason to do it, vinyl sounds good as it is.
I rather just clean the records with record cleaning machine or a brush.
I know a lot people don't agree with me, I been testing for a long time, and in different materials, as long as the layer of wax is really really very thin enough, no ham to the needle and make good slide too, then come out sound different, more live and smooth on bonus less dust and statics, you will have the answer after you try
Tony
Old 29th December 2009, 05:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaiyumtony View Post
I know a lot people don't agree with me, I been testing for a long time, and in different materials, as long as the layer of wax is really really very thin enough, no ham to the needle and make good slide too, then come out sound different, more live and smooth on bonus less dust and statics, you will have the answer after you try
Tony

A couple things concern me about this. Does the wax accumulate on the stylus? And that leads to the question - how can you remove the wax completely without affecting the vinyl or your stylus? Also, I'm not sure something like Armor All wouldn't react chemically with the vinyl over the long term, so ten years down the road you might get a big surprise when you try to play vinyl that was treated with it. Can you address these concerns?

Hide this!Advertise here!