Akai GX-646 Tape rubbing problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently acquired my first reel to reel player a Akai GX-646 and it (or I) seems to have a problem. When the reels spin the tape rubs on a portion of the back edge of the reel every time it goes around and makes a scraping sound. It also lays the tape all near the back wall of the reel. When I take the reels off the things that turn round under the hubs are perfectly aligned (or it seems). I can not find anywhere to adjust spacing except the larger washer type thing that goes behind the hub. Its about 1mm thick so I made one about 0.5mm but it causes the reel to rattle. I also pulled the hubs apart and cleaned them and there does not seem to be anything wrong with them. I have the manual and can not find anything on this. All the searches I have done just come up with how to align the heads.

Am I missing something? This is my first reel to reel so I am a bit clueless as to their setup. Any assistance in getting this working correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Hi,

Are the reels plastic or metal? Could they be warped? That is usually what causes the cyclical rubbing. Change out the reel for a different one. You could also try respooling, play back the entire tape.
The tape should stack up pretty evenly, check for that too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.