The Making Of Turntable Belts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2009, 11:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Making Of Turntable Belts

Good evening all,

I have begun to give some thought to experimenting with making turntable belts. My DIY turntable uses a heavy platter with massive bearing. So far I've tried rubber belts but want to try other material. I have been checking out the Teres turntable and not that they have used various materials to drive their heavy platters. My platter weighs about 15 pounds which is not light.

I was looking at starting with "leader tape" but note that is does not seem to be sticky enough. I would think that platter slippage would be a problem with this material. Any thoughts from those of you who have gone down this road? Thanks for all comments.

Bob
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default flat rubber belts - are there packing units?

A good approach, especially if one needs a certain belt degree, that is no longer available. But therefore I need universal ware (to buy some meter) that consist different materials like rubber.

Which companies offer this one in small amounts?
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
A good approach, especially if one needs a certain belt degree, that is no longer available. But therefore I need universal ware (to buy some meter) that consist different materials like rubber.

Which companies offer this one in small amounts?
Is this what you are looking for?

Welcome to Moriteq USA

Or this?

Belt Corporation of America | Timing Belts, Endless Belts and Custom Belt Fabrication

There are many more. Just Google "flat rubber belts".
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bob,
Ever given any thought to directly driving the platter from the motor capstan using a small tire. You would eliminate all wow noise imposed by the belt.

There are several old sewing machine companies that still make leather belts for there equipment. They are known to be very quiet and performance is excellent. If I can find some old manuals, think very old, I will post sources for you.

I built my turntable using an old Hunter ceiling fan motor and suspending the entire platter on magnets. There is no mechanical contact to anything, it just floats in the air. Works very well. Had a solid state speed controller made to adjust the armature to the proper rpm.

Tad
Old 3rd December 2009, 05:02 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryonziess View Post
Bob,
Ever given any thought to directly driving the platter from the motor capstan using a small tire. You would eliminate all wow noise imposed by the belt.

<snip>
Tad
If there are any eccentricities in the "tire" you will still get some wow. (Also the case if slightly out of round or off center) This is more or less the latest variant of the old idler drive which is incidentally also rumble prone. There seem to be a number of outboard motor kits that offer exterior rim drive as an option in addition to belts.

There should be plenty of discussion on Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable and some good advice as well.

Last edited by kevinkr; 3rd December 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 3rd December 2009, 05:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post
Is this what you are looking for?

Welcome to Moriteq USA
Or this?
Belt Corporation of America | Timing Belts, Endless Belts and Custom Belt Fabrication
There are many more. Just Google "flat rubber belts".
Thank you very much for both URL, especially the last. "Endless rubber belts" is the right keyword for "google". My english isn't good, so I did not like it.
Now the next step is to learn how to perform the matching record player belt (including the appropriate rubber glue and suitable adhesive bonding technology
If one dominates, we can produce for many other purposes (CD loader cassette decks) individually all kinds of matching rubber belts.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 3rd December 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwinterlink View Post

Good evening all,

I have begun to give some thought to experimenting with making turntable belts. My DIY turntable uses a heavy platter with massive bearing. So far I've tried rubber belts but want to try other material. I have been checking out the Teres turntable and not that they have used various materials to drive their heavy platters. My platter weighs about 15 pounds which is not light.

I was looking at starting with "leader tape" but note that is does not seem to be sticky enough. I would think that platter slippage would be a problem with this material. Any thoughts from those of you who have gone down this road? Thanks for all comments.

Bob
I've actually been happy with the generic rubber belts available from places like Turntable Basics. Turntable Belts, Parts and Accessories.. I've not had good luck with carcass weave belts. Because of their increased stiffness, any motor speed fluxuations, noise, shaft runouts etc are more efficiently transmitted to the platter.

My $.02

Cheers,
Old 10th December 2009, 04:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys
I am new here, I got pictures showing I use very thin elastic thread (from clothing material supply) in one condition is to use both hand turn start before switch on, ratio is 1 to 1 between plate and driver's pulley (real big pulley) and if weight well balanced will not have slip problem, Result ? this is the best (I did a lot test of different materials) can give more live of sound, rest all feeling dull try same size sewing tread (nonelastic) you will have the answer right away.even changing weights to the driver's plate, the sound quality will follow, worth to have a try, it won't cost much money and have a great fun.
I modified the DD Technics SL1100 by separated the power supply and changed the better VR for better speed control, and also cut a small grove to keep the thread in place
Tony Ma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 005.jpg (82.3 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Systems of Equations Sheet 24 008.jpg (92.8 KB, 497 views)
Old 11th December 2009, 12:38 PM   #9
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

I use lite fishing line. Maybe 4 0r 6 lb test and double loop it. The smaller the line diameter the smaller the knot.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Key point is the elastic, thinner is the best knot will not bore, tension adjust can be by moving the two plates, try it you will find the diffrence

Hide this!Advertise here!