A question for Sony TC-500A owners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It can only be one of a couple things,

Make sure you have "AUX" selected on the TC500.
Are they DIN connectors on this or phono ? If DIN make sure correct pins used.
Whatever you should be able to "buzz" the inputs with a screwdiver etc to prove they work and identify them.
If that's OK then what output are you using on the IPOD (I have never used one :)) Make sure you turn the volume up if you are using headphone out.

Can you get any other device to work correctly through the AUX inputs ?

Do you have to turn the record level up or put it into record mode ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Doug,

It may have to be in record mode. IIRC, when i was running (one of) mine before disassembly i had to jumper the switch to avoid this.

Attached is a snippet of the map. (i have the whole thing (big))

dave

Attachments

• TC500-notated.gif
    TC500-notated.gif
    73.7 KB · Views: 233
Have I misunderstood?

It occurred to me since I posted that I've just asssumed that it has an ability to amplify an external (AUX) source.
In fact it could be that it is just an AUX in to the record heads.
If that's the case then I may have to run a dummy tape on record.
Not what I was trying to do!

Dave,
Through a stroke of luck I acquired a fully working 500A that had just been serviced for AU$120. (I was shown the clipseal bags of caps & resistors that had been replaced.) Yes the speakers were included, and sound great.

So now I have 4 pr of HB's (the black pair now in my new Zigmahornets. Wow!), 2 dead 500A donors intended to become RH84's, and a working 500A.

It'll be interesting to run the std 500A against a RH84 when I get that finished.

cheers

Doug

Doug,

It may have to be in record mode. IIRC, when i was running (one of) mine before disassembly i had to jumper the switch to avoid this.

Attached is a snippet of the map. (i have the whole thing (big))

dave

So ... to modify the deck to make it capable of being (optionally) just an integrated valve amp I need to install (ganged?) switches to disable power to the motors whilst enabling power to the amp section?

Doug

PS I also have the complete service manual, incl the circuit diagram.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.