DC Coupling for MC Cartridges - how much error voltage before coil damaging

My AKSA 'Paris', JFET-based head amp has no input coupling cap. I've never had any issues with my Benz LP.

I thought DC offset occurred at the output of a gain stage ... not at the input? :confused:

Regards,

Andy

The question is, where the input is by your jFET based head amp.
If you have a common source topology (gate = input), you will not have any trouble and calvin is right:
Hi,

the input bias current of the input transistor leads to a voltage drop over the input impedances. Since the gate leakage of JFETs is so much smaller than the base currents of bipolar transistors its no issue with JFETs.

jauu
Calvin
In case of a present common gate topology (source = input), read post #19 and #20 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/10635-audio-research-mcp-33-a-2.html

Last edited:
In MC cartridges, the range of coil wire used will be between 12um and 60um. 12um is very seldom used, as it tends to break too readily in production. 15um was used by some medium-to-high impedance Denon cartridges. For low-impedance MCs, 30~40um wire will be more typical (35~40um in my case). The most extreme of the Matsudaira-designed MCs (MySonic Labs) use 60um wire for an internal impedance of 0.6ohms.

When proper VTF and antiskating are applied to MC cartridges, one would hope that the signal coils will be centered and aligned to the magnetic field (rather than the stylus). But as far as I can tell from the cartridge design documents that I have researched, apart from designs such as JVC's MC-L1, MC-L10 or MC-L1000, so far this has not been the case (or if it was, the manufacturers were careful to conceal what they had accomplished (^o^)).

hth, jonathan carr

Dear Mr. Carr,
concerning the "KLEOS" from your company I need help concerning DC coupling to a head amp - i. e. without a capacitor in the signal pad.
The thread, which I started in this case, is here:
Lyra Kleos & Jean Hiraga's Le Pré-Pré (from Magazine "L'AUDIOPHILE")
Thank you very much for your advices.

You care about the current that damages the coil (smokes the insulation, or mounting adhesives), fusing is the coup-de-grace! The damage
current could be quite a bit less than fusing current.

Basically microamps is fine, most amplifier configurations only need microamps of bias - the exception (common base/common gate) do need careful consideration of DC issues, and a balanced configuration or coupling capacitor considered.

Another way to look at the issue is guess at a maximum power dissipation and figure out the current limit from that. Say your coil is 100 ohms and you guess 3mW max dissipation. That puts Imax as 5.5mA.

And there's the magnetic effect to consider too - from the coil turns and geometry you can calculate the flux density the DC current would produce - if you know the permanent field its in you can figure out the amount of distortion of the magnetic field the DC produces. 1% magnetic distortion isn't going to a big deal, 50% would be.

Of course the mechanical displacement might dominate over magnetic field disruption anyway - you'd basically need all the physical parameters of the cartridge to analyze this.

However one issue that may eclipse all the others is power-on and power-down transients - if the preamp misbehaves even briefly during these phases it might put large currents (ie several mA) into the source even if it only draws nA in normal operation. Sequencing of dual supplies might matter, for instance.

what I did not find so far in this discussion is the option of a MC step-up transformer. Yes, they are bulky and they are expensive.

Surely, a "SUT box" is no more bulky than a "head amp box"? :confused:

On the other hand they are a perfect protection of the MC cartridge

But they severely limit your ability to provide optimal loading to the cartridge (given the "Zin divided by the square of the turns ratio" equation).

plus they provide a gain of 5 to 10 "for free".

I would suggest 5 to 30. :)

Andy

Most SUTs attempt to provide a 100R to 47k match, which is about 21:1 turns ratio.
A lower ratio of about 5:1 would match 100R into 2k5. An input resistance of 2k5 is an impedance where bipolar semiconductors can give an excellent noise figure, while the much smaller number of secondary turns would make the transformer far easier and cheaper to make and get better bandwidth at both ends