mixing versus scratching needles ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everybody,

a friend of mine asked what cartridge he should use on his new turntables he will buy. They will be DD "dj-tables". Maybe the sl1200 but probably a super oem or less. Like the rp-4000 or rp-6000 or the sinq.

95% he plays his records at home, 5% he is mixing them at parties. he doesn't scratch, but offcourse he sets up the record for mixing. In this proces he turns the record backwards. I think a lot of needles could be damaged by doing so.

So here is my question: even if you turn the record backwards: do you need a scratching needle ? or can you get away with needles for mixing ? i expect that there are a third category : the hifi needle which is not made for even gently backward operation.

Well can somebody advice me a good mixing cartridge ? sound quality and wear on the record is important. (he doesn't play very loud, so tracking isn't that much of a problem)

thanks guys
from a turntable noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.