Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DC Motor source (& newbie intro)

Hello,

I'm just re-discovering the world of Analog and picked up a used Rega P3. Nice little table, but after a few days I've already decided to replace the whole thing and build a really nice table. Too many shortcuts and compromises that irk the engineer in me. Besides, I like building things!

The first item on my list is a good DC motor and controller. I've looked at the Origin Live stuff, but $500 seems like way to much for a DC motor and a power supply/controller. Can someone point me to some known good motors from electronics suppliers? What key specs should I be looking at? Would DC servo motors be suitable?

My plan is to initially keep the Rega setup (mine has a deepgroove sub platter) and build a DC motor "pod" with the belt going to the subplatter. Eventually I'll build my own platter and use a belt directly on a massive platter (no sub platter). I should also mention that my current Rega motor "ticks" once per revolution (240Hz) - you can hear it by placing your head above the plinth.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 15th November 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

DC Motor Shunt Reg

Hide this!Advertise here!