Oracle Delphi MK.2 Upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I have been an owner of an oracle delphi for about 20 years, and have not undertaken any mods, with the exception of upgrading to an SME V tonearm several years ago.

Just recently, I started looking into ther various motor mods that are available, in particular those offered by Origin (and others)

In consideration of the cost, I wonder just how good changing the motor and possibly the PSU can be.

My unit has the 24V Pabst motor, and the standard power supply. I have always been happy with the sound, and have never detected any pitch or speed stability problems.

My question is, just how big an improvement can be expected from a motor mod on my oracle mk.2

According to some user reviews, you would think that Christ has risen before them.

Unfortunately I am not that religious.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Regards
George.

GeeVee...

as the owner of an Alexandria MK2, much could be said about it. Not sure if the factory motor is still available, but I'm sure therre is a replacement available. What I might consider is to get yourself an inexpensive digital tachometer, and check the tt's speed with it (much more accurate in reading speeds than anything else I know of)...that's the check.

If a motor is required, check Oracle first. If not them, then I'd try any good quality 24 Volt DC motor that will fit the sub-chassis. Maybe Maxon has something as an equivalent, in terms of torque and speed characteristics...

My experience is limited, so this reply may not be much help.

Does your power supply include the voltage stabilizer? I got my Oracle second-hand several years ago so I don't know whether the stabilizer was normally included or was an optional extra. It comes in a small box like the wall wart, and connects between the wall-wart and turntable. The stabilizer is just a voltage regulator with storage capacitors and if you don't have the stabilizer, perhaps someone could make one for you

A friend has an Origin motor in his Linn and loves it. The mounting for the Oracle looked crudely executed and I wouldn't use it as is. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work well. Perhaps currently available models have improved.

One fellow I spoke with a few years ago preferred the Mk 1 Oracle. He thought the O-ring belt gave better sound than the flat belt used in later models. However, there are other differences which may have influenced the sound, namely the AC motor in the first model, and the fact that the chassis was made of layers of aluminum instead of the one-piece machined chassis used later. I use the layered chassis from the early model in the later Mk II.

Before getting another motor you might want to try the maintenance kit Oracle sell, if you haven't already done so. It provides a new belt, new suspension dampers and springs, and a measure of oil for the spindle and bearing. It might help the sound and make you feel better about the turntable without doing something drastic.

-Terry C.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.