How much db gain is needed for 0.55mV output MC cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The difficulty with levels is because CD sources are rated by maximum output level (typically 2Vrms), while vinyl levels are at nominal values, corresponding to 5cm/s stylus velocity. Most cartridges can track much more than this; in the treble range some can do well over 50cm/s, corresponding to peaks that are 20dB above nominal.

In my system, 0.5V nominal output from the phono stage is a convenient value, but it obviously depends on the whole system. With 0.55mV source, this is close enough to 60dB of gain.

I have had a phono amp which was very clear on DIP setting on cartridge output in mV. Recently, I changed to a new phono amp that only stays XX db gain on soldering a feedback resistor. My cartridge is 0.55mV output, how much db gain I needed? Thanks
2.5 Vrms sounds much as output voltage. The best thing you could do is actually listen and adjust according to that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.