problem with Grace g-940

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I am trying to set up my Grace G-940 arm; the unipivot. I bought it second hand some time ago and for so many reasons I haven't put it on my other TT (probably because I have been happy with my PS-X60 with PUA-7 tonearm).

Anyway, the pivot seems to lean to the right all the time. Does this mean it has jumped off the pivot? Run out of silicone oil? Or something far more mysterious?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
have you adjusted the lateral weight?

dave

Attachments

• G940-lateralBal.gif
    G940-lateralBal.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 341
  • grace_g940_tonearm.jpg
    grace_g940_tonearm.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 300
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thanks; looking at all the options. no cartridge at this stage, need to get it working properly first ;)

The fact that you have no cartridge installed may be the root of your problem. The uni-pivots I have owned all required a cartridge to be installed before adjustment of the lateral compensation weight resulted in proper playback geometry. Find an old cartridge or possibly purchase the one you intend to use and then try to set the arm up - I think you will find it works a lot better.

In case your problem has not solved; take off the rear balance weight. The thing that you "screw" the balance weight on can be adjusted in small increments.
On the underside there is a small set-screw. try to locate this and loosen. The sliding tube can be adjusted more or less "off-center" so you will be able to use a heavy headshell-cartridge combo. This way the moving-mass can also be adjusted to your taste.
The side weight is used to fine balance the azimuth horizontally. The damping can be adjusted by loosening the black top/set screw so the arm cup lowers a little in the sillicon oil well inside the arm pillar.
Have fun with this magnificent tonearm.
Mario Gert

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.