HPS 4.0 phono stage - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2009, 04:28 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Higher order AM and FM distortion can be introduced, even as lower order AM distortion is significantly reduced.
Old 15th November 2009, 04:35 PM   #212
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Higher order AM and FM distortion can be introduced, even as lower order AM distortion is significantly reduced.
So large amounts of negative feedback are to be avoided, correct? I was always told that open loop distortions should be minimized so that lesser amounts of negative feedback would be needed. Is that a true statement or a wives' tale?
Old 15th November 2009, 04:42 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the right approach to me.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:13 PM   #214
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Woods View Post
So large amounts of negative feedback are to be avoided, correct? I was always told that open loop distortions should be minimized so that lesser amounts of negative feedback would be needed. Is that a true statement or a wives' tale?
Quote:
Sounds like the right approach to me.
This is 100% wrong, and it was proven thoretically and experimentally to Kingdom Come.

Stop polluting this thread with such crap. One thread (BT) should be enough to accomodate 40 years of chasing ghosts.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:44 PM   #215
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
This is 100% wrong, and it was proven thoretically and experimentally to Kingdom Come.

Stop polluting this thread with such crap. One thread (BT) should be enough to accomodate 40 years of chasing ghosts.
Excuse me but I have always heard this as the truth due to increase in IMD with excessive NFB. Are you say that this does not happen? Where has it been proven? I thought that Matti Otala, among others documented this back in the 70's?

Last edited by Curly Woods; 15th November 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:57 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Now, what is a myth?
Old 15th November 2009, 07:12 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Just to be polite about it, were you not, Syn08, the person who was originally going to use an AD797 or its equivalent in output current, to drive a very low resistance feedback network, until we convinced you otherwise? You need a bit more, 'seasoning' still, before calling me 'names'.
Old 15th November 2009, 07:37 PM   #218
Banned

Bob Cordell does not seem to agree with Otala's agruments from what I have read, but he is one of the few. Does Bob also think that people can not hear TIM? I could not find any reference to this subject.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:22 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

I think it is a good thing when distortion is low and i think circuits with extremely high amounts of feedback can be made to sound good. Again i claim Douglas Self that has researched if there is any low level problem but he did not find anything. In recent years people like Cyryl Bateman and Ed Simon have shown that low level distortion exits in passive parts but they are extremely low level down at least -130dB. if this is audible is open to debate and we should not trample on each other discussing minor things like that. by the way Syn08 i am very happy that you are not leaving us alone here. i think this thread got so popular because it is very controversial and we need you here as the solid rock you seem to be. So john please build two phonostages that measure EXACTLY the same and have the same topology but other parts and play them for me. when i hear a difference i send you some of our famous westfalia ham. i come to the states at the end of november and visit my fellow Allen Perkins so i am in the area.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:22 PM   #220
orjan is offline orjan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The disagreement is not weather tim could be heard on not, rather what design rules to use to avoid it.

/örjan

Hide this!Advertise here!