HPS 4.0 phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the precise input. I just wanted to make things clear. It is important to note these factors. Sorry, if I seemed to be too questioning. Some of our messages crossed over, while we were writing new ones.
PS I have no opinion about lead acid and alkaline batteries. I use both.

Higher order AM and FM distortion can be introduced, even as lower order AM distortion is significantly reduced.

So large amounts of negative feedback are to be avoided, correct? I was always told that open loop distortions should be minimized so that lesser amounts of negative feedback would be needed. Is that a true statement or a wives' tale?

Sounds like the right approach to me.

This is 100% wrong, and it was proven thoretically and experimentally to Kingdom Come.

Stop polluting this thread with such crap. One thread (BT) should be enough to accomodate 40 years of chasing ghosts.

This is 100% wrong, and it was proven thoretically and experimentally to Kingdom Come.

Stop polluting this thread with such crap. One thread (BT) should be enough to accomodate 40 years of chasing ghosts.

Excuse me but I have always heard this as the truth due to increase in IMD with excessive NFB. Are you say that this does not happen? Where has it been proven? I thought that Matti Otala, among others documented this back in the 70's?

Last edited:
Just to be polite about it, were you not, Syn08, the person who was originally going to use an AD797 or its equivalent in output current, to drive a very low resistance feedback network, until we convinced you otherwise? You need a bit more, 'seasoning' still, before calling me 'names'.

I think it is a good thing when distortion is low and i think circuits with extremely high amounts of feedback can be made to sound good. Again i claim Douglas Self that has researched if there is any low level problem but he did not find anything. In recent years people like Cyryl Bateman and Ed Simon have shown that low level distortion exits in passive parts but they are extremely low level down at least -130dB. if this is audible is open to debate and we should not trample on each other discussing minor things like that. by the way Syn08 i am very happy that you are not leaving us alone here. i think this thread got so popular because it is very controversial and we need you here as the solid rock you seem to be. So john please build two phonostages that measure EXACTLY the same and have the same topology but other parts and play them for me. when i hear a difference i send you some of our famous westfalia ham. i come to the states at the end of november and visit my fellow Allen Perkins so i am in the area.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.