Removeable headshell issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found that both my Technics turntables had oxidation at the headshell/arm connector. White deposits that made it hard to remove the headshell. Both turntables have been not in use for two or three years. Even the small washer between the headshell and tone arm became rigid and cracked up. Can one get these as spares ?
I carefully applied silicone grease to both headshell and tone arm and now they seem to be OK. I took care to see that nothing fouled up the contacts.
Is this OK ?
Oh boy, our air must be foul as Hell ! I know it is as we get oily deposits on our computer screens very fast. We are going to be dead sooner than we expect I guess !:eek:

Hey guys , thanks for the concern. So you want to ship me a coffin ? I'm about 5'10" ! Thanks ! :D

You didn't look closely at some of my posts. I live in Chennai ( previously called Madras ) in India.

Yes it's a SL-1200 and I also have a SL-Q3 . I might need to change the mat on the SL-1200 as it's very hard now and won't flex at all. Was it always that way ? My headshell's are fine ( I have a few of them ) . I only need the washer which is at the connector end. A thin black ring. I guess I'll make one with something. Must be hard to find separately.

Both turntables are very nice. I still haven't got my TD-124AB / SME set up. I need to change the present plinth which isn't good at all. Wonder how this old combination will compare. Any idea ? The SME 3009 setup's I have heard over the years sounded great but I couldn't compare them against other turrntables. Even heard the 12 inch version with a V15 on it , TD124 , Truvox tube amp ,Wharfedale Dovedale 3 system , in the late 60's! Was great at that time.

Cheers.
Ashok.

Last edited:
Here is a picture.

This is the SL-1200 ( Classic ?). It's not a Mk I or II etc.

Attachments

• technics-sl1200.jpg
    technics-sl1200.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 90
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.