MPP

Agreed, Mikkel calculated 14 bit to be the depth, but as it is relative I am not really sure it matters. Quite sure that current noise will be lower as one can select better resistors with lower noise, and better discrete switches, if a quite high(ish) reference voltage is used, then a N-Jfet could be suitable. Would be low noise, fast and easy to drive.

Theres is one Discrete DAC called Sonic illusions see the schematic there (http://www.sonicillusions.co.uk/discrete_dac.htm), What I would change is to have the logic-switches drive discrete switches and not the resistor ladder directly, I am not convinced that the switches in the logic are quiet enough to pass the audio thru. and I would like some separation there. But the idea and concept seems good.

Last edited:
How on earth????!!! The tennis balls? How are they secured? And why does the speaker not zoom around all over the room? How is it tied down?
Or are the tennis balls used for shock absorbers so the speaker can go bobbing about, with the energy absorbed in the balls so the speaker doesn't scoot around? Surely, concert accurate bass impact makes that thing boogie, right? I'd love to know the details on it. Do tell?
373321d1380222562-mpp-dolmen-4a.jpg

It bothered me that the coils needed in power amplifiers as part of the Zobel are often mechanically not very rigid.
So i commissioned Mundorf to make several prototypes.
One is a foil coil and the other 3 are baked copper wire.

Attachments

• Zobel mundorf 1.jpg
    Zobel mundorf 1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 384
  • amp coil mu 1.jpg
    amp coil mu 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 380
  • coil amp mu 4.jpg
    coil amp mu 4.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 380
Daniel, this panel only goes to 120Hz or so. The frequencies under that are handled by active M-Dipole subs.
You also have to consider that the weight of the Enviee wide range membrane ( including coil and everything else ) is only 10gr so there is not much force transferred to the baffles.
The stone base is quite heavy too so this baffle simply sits on the tennis balls without falling over to any side.
I measured vibration with an accelerometer on the baffle and contrary to popular believe, vibration was 20dB less over a wide range of frequencies with the tennis balls in place.
I think what happens is when you place the baffles right on the floor the mechanical energy is not dispersed but steered back in the baffle where it interferes with the vibration there so it gets worse.

An alternative is to use size AAA batteries. It is essential that they are parallel to each other and that they are placed on a hard, smooth surface (plate glass is best). They also MUST provide front to back freedom which is in exactly the same direction as the cone's movements. You must first peel off the outer paper/plastic so that the metal can is fully exposed and clean of lumps and bumps. I no longer bother with such niceties as my hearing has degenerated so much that the benefits of such work are subjectively so marginal as to be no longer worth the effort. I do still use carbon blocks under all equipment and this is worth the effort. the floor of my room is fully floating and the hardware - other than speakers - is in an adjoining room.

I will of cause not show the squeaky yellow tennis balls in public. They stir much too much attention.
Here is the " beautified " version. I spray them black and put them in a silicon rubber hose. That hose also helps to stop the tennis balls rolling but does not affect the vertical decoupling much.

Attachments

• soft feet 1.jpg
    soft feet 1.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 393
  • soft feet 2.jpg
    soft feet 2.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 384
I will of cause not show the squeaky yellow tennis balls in public. They stir much too much attention.
Here is the " beautified " version. I spray them black and put them in a silicon rubber hose. That hose also helps to stop the tennis balls rolling but does not affect the vertical decoupling much.

Does the ATL have a patent on that? :) (Provided by Obi-Brilon I think (the brother of Obi-Wan Kenobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)).