MPP

One way or another, I have already made a lot of modifications at the circuit from post #9211 , now the voltage reference is feed by the output voltage insted of the input voltage (Frans suggestion), now the PSRR is even higher.
And now I have two versions one is a shunt other is a serial regulator. The serial regulator also has very good PSRR better than 130dB at audio frequencies.

I was expecting to see some spikes at the turn on and off of the current , but as the HEC loop is faster ,maybe is because of this the reason for the absence of those abnormalities. I have to investigate futher .

I was thinking in less than 2pf collector capacitance, but thanks . NXP has nice transistors.

I will try use the bc550 just to test as I have lots of them. If the stability of the regulator stays good, I will use them.

Today I made a test PCB of the regulator. Maybe tomorrow will be done ... Maybe. ;)

Attachments

• HECshunt_pcb.png
    HECshunt_pcb.png
    34 KB · Views: 212
Yes, it is pretty clever. I have one channel working.
This beast is fast. My generator goes to 21MHz and it is still there, full steam.
Even a 20MHz sine looks pretty sine so it is even not triangulating at that frequency.
I measured distortion and i was a bit disappointed.
1V RMS into 10kOhm gave -80dB second and -110dB third.
The Piglets Dad is better in that regard. - 90dB second and no third.
The Calvin is even much better then that. I can measure no distortion at cruising level and i had to load it down really bad to see something.
I build the Mr.Evil without selecting the transistors but i thermo coupled.

Lets talk about the energy-efficiency ratio for a moment.
The Magico S1 has 82dB and drops under 4 Ohm. Lets say it is a 3.3 Ohm speaker.
The Enviee is over 8 Ohm and has 95.5dB.
So for the same output the Enviee needs 23dB less power.
That is more then 10 times better.
No matter what you do, a speaker distorts more when you crank it so the only fair comparison would be to measure the distortion at the same level, say 95dB in 1m.
OK, the Magico goes deeper in the bass.