MPP

We are preparing PCBs for the Rose and the Progress. We came so far but there are still some bugs so stay tuned. Marcin works slow. He is a young father in Poland so life is kind of tough.

Attachments

• Power Buffer and HS preamp PCB.jpg
    Power Buffer and HS preamp PCB.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 264
Hi. I have a full set of measurements on the Paradise. Readings:
Gain: 61.4dB at 1Khz
Vout max: 30Vpk-pk
THD at 1Khz (Ref 1Vrms): 0.06%
Noise measured with HP3581A
Noise at 1Khz (input in 50 ohms, 10Hz BW): -99dBV (-92dBV in 30Hz)

Noise floor, see included picture, in red my Clio system noise floor, the white is the Paradise, input terminated in 50 ohms, no shield or enclosure, but using the pre-reg and RC-filter supply. First supply 120Hz peak at -74dBV. It will be probably lower with a separate supply enclosure, put away.

1Khz FFT spectrum. The supply noise is higher there because the preamp is connected to the CLIO system. I always have this kind of error in measurement of phono preamp. It will be lower with an actual cartridge.

RIAA Curve, see table included
Well close to text book perfect, with 0.2dB almost at all frequency. Since my signal generator is not perfectly frequency stable, neither perfectly flat in amplitude, these are pretty good results.

The Paradise has excellent measured specs. Now time to start building the enclosures...

Attachments

• Noise_floor_Red-PC_Card_Wht-Preamp.jpg
    Noise_floor_Red-PC_Card_Wht-Preamp.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 1Khz_at_0dBV.jpg
    1Khz_at_0dBV.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 228
  • RIAA_Curve_Check.jpg
    RIAA_Curve_Check.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Here both schematics preamp and regulator with a lots of reference voltages readings. May be useful while troubleshooting your preamp.

To PSU looks perfect to me. The preamp also (but that’s not mine to judge :) ) Most of the mains related peaks will be gone if the measurement equipment is disconnected, when the RAW PSU has its own box, and when the preamp has its own box. (as Joachim noted)

Last edited:
Algar...

you have to get rid of the hum....!! all the harmonics you see at you FFT is from the 60 Hz hum you have..:)

And when you measure the Paradise you need to terminate the input with a lower resistor. the 50 ohm termination has more noise than the stage in itself.

But I agree, these are a clear hint of the technical qualities of the phono-stage...Not too bad..!

Last edited: