MPP

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Forget about common mode chokes, use seperate chokes for each of the two power lines.

food for thoughts , and test , one of these days ....

in a meantime , worth to look

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/161663-nem-ai-50-a.html

165850d1270558634-nem-ai-50-ai50.jpg

I posted that because of their choke input filter ; I'm counting that they're knowing their drek
Be sure they do - and they do all of their inductors by themselves. And as they tend to use BIG cores, I am sure those won't have any problems with that DC preload. As I said earlier - totally dfferent from one of those usual common mode filter choke toys.

Sure, when you know your equipment a line filter can be designed in that perfectly fits.
Unfortunately besides making your own sine waves there is no universal line filter.
I know because i designed 90kW DC power supplies for sputtering in the 80th.
Also AC with microwave.
It has exactly to fit or we end up with all kind of resonances. Some filters even put dirt back into the line.

The company i worked for is long extinct but that is what we made :ELAN-Plasma-Drive-Service, Büttelborn - Firmen
Thinking about it i am not so crippled PSU wise as i think. One on my duties was to check for short circuit protection. Have you ever short circuited a 90kW DC supply ?
I did that with a 2m long bakalite stick. I could throw flashes that could enlighten Berlin.

To tackle ripple we used the resonance principle. That was a bank of big MP caps and huge coils. The cap values where surprising low because of the coils.
One problem was to optimize efficiency, such a PSU can cause a lot of blind current that lowers the energy ticket but also efficiency. The impedance curves we calculated remind me on a complex loudspeaker load. We used similar techniques to flatten the impedance curve. My boss was a big HighFi freak. With tubes of cause and ribbon speakers.
He was a character, also involved in designing atomic reactors when they where new.
He stepped out of that busyness though because he did not trust the safety measures.