MPP

So i have ordered the pcb and the part from the gb. I would also like to start collecting the other parts. Now i am a bit unclear on the needed ingredients of this recipe:

- 2 x 24v, minimum 20va per channel (two for dual mono)?
- preregulator, is there any views on a good solution?
- the schematic shows an external riaa circuit. Does that mean that the circuit is not included on the pcb, and the components are not part of the gb?

So i have ordered the pcb and the part from the gb. I would also like to start collecting the other parts. Now i am a bit unclear on the needed ingredients of this recipe:

- 2 x 24v, minimum 20va per channel (two for dual mono)?
- preregulator, is there any views on a good solution?
- the schematic shows an external riaa circuit. Does that mean that the circuit is not included on the pcb, and the components are not part of the gb?

These are the most important/relevant messages regarding PSU and Pre-Reg.

Mpp - Post 4375 PSU-pre-regulator

Mpp - Post 4610 V2 Schemas UPS and Amp

Mpp - Post 6506 CCS fine-tuning

Mpp - Post 6462 PSU with my notes

Mpp - Post 6809 Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt with a regulated power supply

Have a look at these and the following messages.

Thanks Frans,

So I gather the questions to my answers are (or the other way around):
- 2x24V (20VA) per channel... the required input voltage for the shunts would be about 24VDC... so even lower voltage trannies would probably be ok (except when using tube rectification).

- Preregulator: I see there are concerns between unwanted interaction/oscillation between pre-regulator and the shunt regulators on the board. The shunt regulators by FdW are fed by a CCS which is fed by a CVS, so I would assume they don't need pre-regulation. Would a simple CLC be sufficient?

- There is an riaa circuit on the pcb, but there is an option to connect an external riaa circuit as well.

Right?

Thanks Frans,

So I gather the questions to my answers are (or the other way around):
- 2x24V (20VA) per channel... the required input voltage for the shunts would be about 24VDC... so even lower voltage trannies would probably be ok (except when using tube rectification).

- Preregulator: I see there are concerns between unwanted interaction/oscillation between pre-regulator and the shunt regulators on the board. The shunt regulators by FdW are fed by a CCS which is fed by a CVS, so I would assume they don't need pre-regulation. Would a simple CLC be sufficient?

- There is an riaa circuit on the pcb, but there is an option to connect an external riaa circuit as well.

Right?

The minimum would be 2x24VDC(about 18VAC(min), 20VAC(best, I like it :)), 24VAC(max, if you like it hot :))) 15VA(recomended minimum), 20VA has a bit of headroom. So the answer is Yes.

Note: 15VA is good for a 18VAC transformer, for the 24VAC transformer you need, (15/18)*24 = 20VA(min)

Using a pasive pre will be safe, using a active pre is not recomended. So the answer is Yes.

About the riaa, the answer is Yes.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Normally, vinyl setups are blamed to have poorer capabilities than digital (CD) spinners in terms of bass presentation... now this amp inverts the situation... bass is crisp super fast with great delineation and detail and with get the linearity of vinyl in the rest of the spectrum.... wind instruments are real.. voices too..

PS: I left it running for a week so it is really well cooked right now

Just let the cartridge to heat up (three LP sides) and your off....

This will be the speakers, a so far non commercial experiment by Andres.
The driver is a Visaton B200. I am currently working on a wideband driver that shall compete with the Visaton.

Attachments

• Adres Horn.jpg
    Adres Horn.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 309