MPP

In my system i handle rumble in a different way. My main panels are rolled off under 80Hz with a line filter of 6dB octave. They are down -15dB at 20Hz and -21dB at 10Hz.
Then i have an active sub that is Mono. The sub has a subsonic filter ( 18dB ) under 18Hz and some other tricks. Excess Cone movement is nill.
That may be one answer why i do not suffer "Soundstage Shrinkage ".

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In my system i handle ruble in a different way. My main panels are rolled off under 80Hz with a line filter of 6dB octave. They are down -15dB at 20Hz and -21dB at 20Hz.
Then i have an active sub that is Mono. The sub has a subsonic filter ( 18dB ) under 18Hz and some other tricks. Excess Cone movement is nill.
That may be one answer why i do not suffer "Soundstage Shrinkage ".

Quite possible indeed. That is why you could not know what they were talking about.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ricardo, the "natural" input impedance of the Paradise is around 10kOhm.
Say you need 2.3kOhm loading of the transformer ( Sowter 8055 ) you need a loading resistor of ca. 3kOhm. It appears in parallel to the "natural" input impedance.
Using a 1:10 sut I would load the cart with only 10000 / 10 square = 100
The tuscany "likes" 470r.... anyway it is good to know.

the paradise could have at LF roll-of is so desired.. just make the caps at the input smaller...

sometimes a phase shift in the base makes it seem stronger...but also looser or lees tight and precise

Her with my arm/cart..(light carbon arm with a Cardenza blue) there's no problems, but with some arms there can be some low freq. resonances that swamps everything...However this is not a fault of the paradise..

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Transformer loading is different from resistor loading. To reach 470 Ohm you would need an enormous secondary impedance and that may not damp the transformer optimally.

Here you can find information about the Sowter that i use sometimes. It is a good one besides Lundahl and Jensen. I have personally no experience with Cinemag and Haufe.
I tried Pikatron in the old times.

You may get a super sonic overshot when you load the transformer light that can sound very attractive.

Thank you Joachim.

I use Lundahl 1:10 what do you think it would be the best secondary loading in this case ?

Taking out one 6800uF of each double stack puts the -3dB frequency one octave higher.
They are totally over dimensioned to begin with.
When you build the R3, Ricardo you could leave half of them out at the beginning and listen how that sounds. Soldering the caps out of your R2 boards is of cause possible but some kind of dirty work.
I found that the Lundals are not that sensitive of loading. I would try a 10kOhm loading resistor. That is in my opinion the highest reasonable value. That would load the Tuscany with 50 Ohm. You could even try without any loading resistor. The secondary impedance of the transformer allows a DC biasing path through the input stage so it may amplify.

Ok we are now getting there.

Small recap
My impressions are first of all based on memory as I newer had a chance so far to listen to Paradise and Simplistic back to back. (This is sometink that I will need to do pretty soon)

The remaining part of the chain are the same TT and cart same Amplifiers same speakers in the same positions.

Both Ricardo and me commented on the impression that Simplistic has wide sound stage.

The speakers are Polk LSi15 and IMO pretty good at reproducing a decent sound stage.

The idea of a capacitor limiting rumble on Paradise is a most valid one, not that I have noticed Rumble issues with Paradise, this is because I have not been looking for it as sound of it is so really good, and this is an easy one to try as al I have to do is borrow the capacitors I am using on Simplistic, with the further benefit that, the sound of the capacitors, one less variable came in to play.

So I am going to be really busy in the next few days.

Tanks Salas for posting the graph do you have one with Phase angle?

One thing I must say again
I am not in any way complaining about the Paradise it is really good one.
On one of my previous post I mentioned about earring the T just before the finger fully close on the wind instruments.
This is not an easy thing to pick up; speed micro detail and natural reproduction are there Big Full stop.

Taking out one 6800uF of each double stack puts the -3dB frequency one octave higher.
They are totally over dimensioned to begin with.

Don't. think it's a good idea...better to get something that fits together....not at good idea to mask a problem by compensating later...the motion of the speaker cones dost not remove the unlinearity created in the arm/cart resonance.

Another easy one to try out

But wuld hate to mess about with how good bass is on Paradise

so I will need to make shure TT is not the cause of the problem (RPM4 is prety fussy with support)