MPP

You could build yourself a phono pre with multiple distinct flavored stages, instead of a preamp with a lot of inputs.
It's called a novelty.

Lacking Girlfriend / Wife that likes lots of boxes (although she like listening to them) I would really like a Phono stage where I can tune in different flavours.

(Talking about sound signature in respect to Paradise would be great injustice)

So we go back to my earlier question
What is that causes a gain stage to have wide sound stage.

Earlier on Joachim (?) posted an interesting article Small-Signal Distortion in Feedback Amplifiers for Audio, (sorry lost the link) the answer may be there.

We have same agreement (or sort of) that Simplistic has a wide sound stage and this is due to topology.

So search for this ingredient is IMO quite interesting.

Maybe simulation can help
Does any one have Paradise Simulation file to try out?

yes it would be a novelty as far as one forghet that same alkemist designed an amplifier that would reproduce the sound of same others amplifiers.

we reserve the right to corect spelling mistakes from time to time

one specific diffidence is the natural distortion of the paradise...in the lower frequencies it has the most, and as frequency gets higher distortion gets lower.. but Iam not too sure that what you say is valid... Sound-staging has also at lot to do with speakers and environment and the two phono-stages moved here may produce totally different results. here my sound-stage changes if I change polarity of my main cables...Try changing it on your paradise and you may get a chock..

also the foundation for your boxes need to be good.. try some decoupling like the NO-sort-kones...if you place it on rubber feet, all gets swamped and the sound gets flat and narrow..

Point is that a lot has influence on the sound and sound-stage.. not only the circuit.

An impression of a bigger soundstage can also come when the system has some crosstalk.
That is counter intuitive but you may remember sound processors from the 70th that did exactly that. This is because the left speaker idles into the right ear and the other way around so bleeding some signal from one channel into the other makes the soundstage wider, that is often done in headphone amps. See many circuits at the Headwize forum.
That is one reason i put my speakers wide apart and sit close.

Yes, Ricardo, that is true. The first time i heard that not only the value of the loading resistor makes a difference but also the type was from Prof. Hawkford at the end of the 80th. When they made the Essex Equalizer, that was maybe one of the first transimpedance phono stages, they found that when they put the needle into the lead in grove that the NOISE sounded different. He claimed that he got so good he could identify the type of resistor just by listening to the grove noise. They decided on a Shinko tantalum
in the end. I use Dale RS65. Soory to repeat me, but this has also an influence on the soundstage. The ear is very good at analyzing noise.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Lacking Girlfriend / Wife that likes lots of boxes (although she like listening to them) I would really like a Phono stage where I can tune in different flavours.

(Talking about sound signature in respect to Paradise would be great injustice)

So we go back to my earlier question
What is that causes a gain stage to have wide sound stage.

Earlier on Joachim (?) posted an interesting article Small-Signal Distortion in Feedback Amplifiers for Audio, (sorry lost the link) the answer may be there.

We have same agreement (or sort of) that Simplistic has a wide sound stage and this is due to topology.

So search for this ingredient is IMO quite interesting.

Maybe simulation can help
Does any one have Paradise Simulation file to try out?

yes it would be a novelty as far as one forghet that same alkemist designed an amplifier that would reproduce the sound of same others amplifiers.

we reserve the right to corect spelling mistakes from time to time

I believe you are experiencing a subjective wider sounstage on the simplistic due to it´s inherent sencilibility to the psu.. and you might also be having the effect of a not so perfect riaa equalization... I have built many MC preamps and experimented a lot with shunts and riaa filters... My first build had enormous soundstage but would only play well with super recordings. Then I found I was not paying too much attention to the riaa values.... Then I had this long discussion with Thorsten who built a phono preamp with several curve options and decided to make a spreadsheet to calc the "correct" values for each build. I believe this is where we can have the greatest differences.

Other factors that influence soundstage are the TX used, the type of shunt, the type of resistor used for cart loading, cabling, there is a lot to be done :)

If you want I can verify your riaa values

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, Ricardo, that is true. The first time i heard that not only the value of the loading resistor makes a difference but also the type was from Prof. Hawkford at the end of the 80th. When they made the Essex Equalizer, that was maybe one of the first transimpedance phono stages, they found that when they put the needle into the lead in grove that the NOISE sounded different. He claimed that he got so good he could identify the type of resistor just by listening to the grove noise. They decided on a Shinko tantalum
in the end. I use Dale RS65. Soory to repeat me, but this has also an influence on the soundstage. The ear is very good at analyzing noise.

Yes, I have a friend that is a heavy TT builder and also claims to be able to detect a good sounding system just by listening to lead groove.

Shinkoh resistors are also one of my best choices when it comes to obtain the wider sounstages... (some say they are made with LSD)... the new bulk foil from Vishay are also very good if not slightly more open and forward.

It is good to know the Paradise also reacts well to finetunings like to ones we are talking about right now :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For my previous post VLF wondering I run AC analysis on rev2 sim posted here some time ago. Ooops, if the TT and arm are not much controlled everything will pass. No VLF roll off to speak of. Will probably differentiate a lot in various systems regarding TT, loudspeakers control capabilities, electronics roll off and/or headroom.

Attachments

• Snap 2012-08-26 at 17.30.43.png
    Snap 2012-08-26 at 17.30.43.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 259
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I wonder, maybe the paradise makes path very low near to DC without rumble roll off and it chokes smaller speakers with vinyl eccentricity? Much VLF can mask staging. Did not run an AC analysis in the sim.

Now this is a thought !!!

Once I demoed a riaa preamp with small ported and undamped speakers and could really see the woofers almost coming of the enclosures with no audible sound (just the TT / arm / cart working in the lead grooves).

But I believe we can convey a "false" imense sounstage if we are not carefull with riaa filter values.... Off course it will not play every record... It might sound thin sometimes.

Salas, the simplest way to give the Paradise some rolloff in the bass would be an output cap. When the input impedance of the line stage is 47kOhm i would try 0.47u to 1u.
Yes, i think it could be the capacitive coupling in the Simplistic that could give it an advantage if the record is not totally flat or the arm-cartridge combination has a peak in the subsonic region. I hope all here have a good enough turntable so that it does not ruble in itself.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
For my previous post VLF wondering I run AC analysis on rev2 sim posted here some time ago. Ooops, if the TT and arm are not much controlled everything will pass. No VLF roll off to speak of. Will probably differentiate a lot in various systems regarding TT, loudspeakers control capabilities, electronics roll off and/or headroom.
How did you do this sim ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, the simplest way to give the Paradise some rolloff in the bass would be an output cap. When the input impedance of the line stage is 47kOhm i would try 0.47u to 1u.
Yes, i think it could be the capacitive coupling in the Simplistic that could give it an advantage if the record is not totally flat or the arm-cartridge combination has a peak in the subsonic region. I hope all here have a good enough turntable so that it does not ruble in itself.

Just brain storming here to explain the phenomenon. It looks possible some will say this and some will say how the hell you heard that when using a pure path pre in different grade and scale systems. Hmm, maybe we nailed it.