MPP

I know, this is one of the reasons why i got the album in the first place. But this one is just bad... Within the first seconds of playing the first track, you'll hear kate's voice, but slightly muffled.

The three discs all have a different sound signature with the first one muffled, and the third one thin...

Edit: oh and this was with some of joachim's speakers: Tempo 2SE and rhea/terra 1

Being a little cheeky about the better ears part, of course. As Joachim replied, I think the emphasis was on the part of the recording that accentuated the ability of the design in question to excel in certain areas.

I think the Paradise has the ability to make not so natural recordings sound musical at least. It is not shy at bass and fundamental tones but does not sound fat and slow. Rather the opposite, it is fast and transparent. It is hard to explain but there is a lot of meat on the bones and it sounds muscular. More like a ballet dancer and less like Arnold Schwarzenegger although it can slam hard too.

I like ballet dancer analogy, is pretty spot on, especially if ballet dancer has 3 Dan as hobby.

If I may suggest a good one, try Grace Jones Slave to the rhythm (Manhattan Island Records PM264 24 0447 1)
Is a DMM pressing and entertainment wise I have probably listened to it end to end about never but the pressing is really good and a brilliant test record.

Many a time few seconds of it was enough to ask sale assistant please turn that of...

Last edited:
Ricardo, maybe i was not enough specific on that : The offset is a function of the loading resistor PLUS the parallel DC impedance of the cartridge. i checked the Benz Ace M and it has 12 Ohm so offset will be even lower then with the DL103 that has 40 Ohm. What can happen is the following : you put on the 2.3KOhm loading resistor and switch on the Pardise without the cartridge connected. You will be then able to measure a certain offset that is the non canceled base current flowing through that 2.3kOhm resistor. That will may be several mV. When you then connect the cartridge the offset will go DOWN in proportion of the DC impedance of the cartridge that now appears in PARALLEL to the loading resistor. For example you measure a DC offset of 5mV with the loading resistor of 2.3kOhm. Connecting the cartridge will bring that down in a factor of 2300/12 = 191.66. From the initial offset of 5mV, 0.026mV will remain. The problem actually occurs when you have switched on the Paradise and THEN connect the cartridge. For a very short period 5mV will develop over the cartridge until the new ( lower ) value is established. A safe method is to connect a resistor that has the same DC impedance then the cartridge parallel to the loading resistor, then switch the Paradise on and measure the offset. Under 0.1mV is absolutely safe and under 0.01mV is not audible.
Then switch the Paradise off and desolder the DC dummy. Then put on the cartridge and when that is done switch on the Paradise. OK, this is like a heart transplant but it is absolutely safe.