MPP

After a 2 weeks diet with digital ( i had tested my buffer-filter for EUVLs ESS board ) i put the Paradise back in the system. What a shock !
This immediacy, size of stage and dramatic dynamics.

Attachments

• Sunsy 6.jpg
    Sunsy 6.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Sunsy 7.jpg
    Sunsy 7.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Sunsy 1.jpg
    Sunsy 1.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Sunsy 2.jpg
    Sunsy 2.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Sunsy 3.jpg
    Sunsy 3.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Sunsy 4.jpg
    Sunsy 4.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 293
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Quite an arsenal you have got Joachim..... Dynamics might be awesome with the paradise.... My ears are getting acostumed now and I hear loads of detail (particularly in the bass)... It is quite paradisiac this Paradise.

Thank you all for the fantastic work... Now I have a good competitor for the Simplistic

Silent... no hum no noise.... Powerfull effortless presentation... Very good bass delineation... Aparent micro dtail... sweet mids... first crude impressions...

Same impressions as I had
Have you tried to listen for T when note changes on wind instruments.

I will have to do quite a bit of tidy up and do back to back listening but from memory Salas Simplistic had much wider stage (exiding room dimensions) which may be a bonus but there again may not as Paradise natural presentation is certainly amazing

To find what causes this and be able to recreate the effect and to tune this in would be a real bonus.

I am thinking that Phase angle on the RIAA filter may be a good place to start.

Really happy you got it going and the tip to try the simulation is a good one worth remembering.

I hink MiiB and i know the Paradise well from design and listening and we are exchanging impressions quite often. Yes, Bksabath, you are saying the right thing. The Paradise R3 can give the impression that some elements of the sound, for example a hit on a cymbal,
sounds "small". But that comes with incredible focus and precision. There is a kind of "concentration" that gives a less spacious impression. You really have to listen to classical recordings from the 50th and 60th where less microphones where used to find out that there can be enormous depth and width and sometimes height too.

:D:D:D

Tell her to put the books under a bed and to keep the TV in a different room!
That way you will have peace....after a deadly fight! ;):cool:

PS:

Are you a good cook for just one person??:drink:

I am not going to start deadly fight as that would be deadly, I have to content myself with speakers not been used as shelf for ornaments:D

Last barbeque was for 12 so I can cook for loads and she does the best roast potatoes in the Kingdom so...
pop around any time.

I hink MiiB and i know the Paradise well from design and listening and we are exchanging impressions quite often. Yes, Bksabath, you are saying the right thing. The Paradise R3 can give the impression that some elements of the sound, for example a hit on a cymbal,
sounds "small". But that comes with incredible focus and precision. There is a kind of "concentration" that gives a less spacious impression. You really have to listen to classical recordings from the 50th and 60th where less microphones where used to find out that there can be enormous depth and width and sometimes height too.

And a real good job you did the ability of Paradise to disappear is what does make it so good.

I was wondering what sort of alchemy take place in regard to “spacious impression”.
Mastering this and the ability to tune it may work for same.
I Agree that it may detract from the natural presentation.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Found the error.... Now time to listen :)

The holes for the k170 are so small, I inadvertedly caused a short between Drain to Gate in the output buffer k170.... result 15V out offset.

relief.... sigh..... ;-)

In the latest version (R3) the holes are spaced further apart - in the previous version I simply used the built-in footprint, not a good idea....

Bksabath, the topology and the "sound" of the Paradise R3 did not come in one day. Actually this thread goes back over 3 years. I tried virtually hundreds of circuits, first designed by me alone and then with the help of a lot of contributors. I not only build and measured the circuits but also listened to them until a pattern appeared that looked promising. Also i did not listen alone but i had a lot of guests, some famous, some less that helped in the subjective evaluation. I also gave out a lot of prototyps to other designers and journalists like Holger Barske, Wolf von Langa, Martina Schöner, Stig Björge, Frank Schröder, Thomas Fast, you name it. Also we spend a lot of time to make the circuit robust and easy to build. Over 200 persons will now build the Paradise R3 so we can collect even more data. Stefano is checking out if there is potential for a "super" version. I think we have a nice vineyard now, lets see how we can get the best out of the grapes.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
relief.... sigh..... ;-)

In the latest version (R3) the holes are spaced further apart - in the previous version I simply used the built-in footprint, not a good idea....

Yes... relief... Anyway I learned how to replace components without damaging the board and also found there is no need for super matching of BC's in the mirror :) I replaced a lot of components before I found the real issue.

The wider spacing of the holes is a very good idea (my vision is ot that good anymore)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I run a set of 4 Block transformers with 30VA and 2 x 12V. I have wired each transformer for 24V so two transformers make a plus-minus supply.

Do you loose much Volts in the prepre ?

Initially I wondered about using the psu of the first paradise with two 24v tx but latter decided to use a 2x18V one (120VA R-Core).... I believe this is better so I do not waste so much in heat.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I will have to do quite a bit of tidy up and do back to back listening but from memory Salas Simplistic had much wider stage (exiding room dimensions) which may be a bonus but there again may not as Paradise natural presentation is certainly amazing

To find what causes this and be able to recreate the effect and to tune this in would be a real bonus.

I am thinking that Phase angle on the RIAA filter may be a good place to start.

Really happy you got it going and the tip to try the simulation is a good one worth remembering.

My Simplistic does provide a wider sounstage... something to do with silk highs but does not have the bass grip of the Paradise.

I believe some tweaking in the psu and the riaa filter might give very good results.