MPP

well RPM 4 with its tonearm is not bad.
This specific TT has been considered a giant killer and has a very good Performance/Cost Ratio.

The pick up is not bad either. If I were you I would consider a different cartridge perhaps more refined without spending too much money.
I have a good suggestion in this regard: get a Mida Denon with ES tip modification.
You will have a killer cart for its money.

If you want more details just drop me an email.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Transient response with slow passive filter

Passive RC filtering has it´s merits. One is very good transient response or should i say slow response.

No, passive filtering is slow. Thats the name of the gave.

I need a lesson obviously.... So slow filter implies good transient response... How come ?

I was convinced we needed a fast power delivery from the psu (or cap in the filter) to cope with fast rising impulses... :scratch:

The storage in the cap can supply fast but it is more like a water tank that should never go empty. An active shunt is somewhat different because the low output impedance is based on the electronic circuit, be it feedback, feedforward, open loop or all together. That is also the reason that a shunt regulator can go into oscillation if it supplies a heavy load or has too low phase margin. Under that condition i would call the transient response poor. That can not happen with a passive RC filter if it is generous designed. The output impedance of the passive RC filter is of cause limited by the ESR of the cap and detoriates at very high frequencies where the cap gets inductive. That is the reason the cap value should be high ( electrolytics with high values and high voltage usually have low ESR ) and ideally decoupled with an optimum dimensioned film cap bypass.

Sampler has some time ago argued in favor of passive RC that came closer to the batterie supply in sound. I can only tell you that the Paradise R2 sounds really fine so the PSU does its job well. Frans solution seems to be very tolerant concerning loading.

What I like the best is battery powered followed by a well designed shunt.

I tried battery alone, battery with some RC filter, but didn't sound as good.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What I like the best is battery powered followed by a well designed shunt.

I tried battery alone, battery with some RC filter, but didn't sound as good.

Now that is a very good idea... off course you need a very large baterie because the shunt is allways working at full steam.

Sometime ago we discussed the idea that a shunt would isolate whatever is happening before it so a "normal" tx + rectifier + smoothing would be enough.

My experiments told me that even a change in TX is quite noticeable.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now that is a very good idea... off course you need a very large baterie because the shunt is allways working at full steam.

Sometime ago we discussed the idea that a shunt would isolate whatever is happening before it so a "normal" tx + rectifier + smoothing would be enough.

The CCS can filter well ripple and rectification noise up to a frequency but don't expect theoretical performance to hold much high as the loop paths and physical layout are nasty enough in any build bar RF engineered instrumentation, especially when low signal is involved. That is why people still seem to pick up various Tx and filter caps, or common mode chokes seem smoothing out, etc. Most important function is that the CCS does not shake the outside nodes with signal demand. It also sets high bias for the output parallel circuit.

Also theoretical, the high output impedance of the CCS could suppress distortion in the shunt. Yes, PSUs have distortion too. This mechanism is the same then driving a dynamic loudspeaker from a high output impedance amp. Distortion from varying input impedance are suppressed because the variation in the impedance is small compared to the high output impedance of the CCS.

yes you need a little larger battery. It is also important to keep battery cells equally charged.
That is where a sophisticated power battery management system comes into play.
I would like to start this project out. I have been planning on working on this for my other projects, but I didn't have time till now.
It is a matter of choosing the right micro and the right interface and writing some code.
If there in interest in this I can start it out if people are interested with powering the phono up with batteries, which is a big plus from a hum standpoint!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
powering the phono up with batteries, which is a big plus from a hum standpoint!

The floating battery gives freedom from ground loop possibilities but its not an unsolvable issue with electronic PSUs also. I have shown this in another thread recently, its the FFT of a no PSRR JFET 20dB MC pre-pre (one high mS part only) driven by 5 Ohm Zo voltage divider. 5mV signal output, 0dB=1V. No 100Hz ripple or harmonics, 50Hz hum well suppressed for a 2m long single ended measurement loop. The PC was mains supplied. Although a battery can be a quick and sure way to avoid the hum headaches, it takes a major maintenance and control effort to really do it nicely. Gonna end up with Arduino like stuff if SOTA.

Attachments

• PrePreFFT.png
    PrePreFFT.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 255