MPP

Just for reference: one of the time constants I typed in on the laplace was wrong.
Fixed that, RIAA back on track.
I just see a little bumby behaviour at low frequency that could easily be tweaked.

I was wondering if the 2 13.6mF caps on the signal (the high-pass filter that lowers DC gain) can be replaced with a resistor and if that could still work.

I have simulated it and tweak RIAA values and got the results below.
The only thing is that it looks like I can't push the gain any further up and I obtained 57dB at 1KHz.
Also I don't know if this arrangement can cause problem with DC offset/drift and I am wondering if the Servo can adjust some extra DC drift.

Below the circuit, I wonder if you guys could comment it and let me know what you think.
I just wanted to give my two cents to this wonderful project.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the intrusion I don't mean to question by any means this wonderful design.

Attachments

• paradise rev 2-direct couple.JPG
    paradise rev 2-direct couple.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 394
  • paradise rev2 direct couple RIAA precision.JPG
    paradise rev2 direct couple RIAA precision.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 387
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just for reference: one of the time constants I typed in on the laplace was wrong.
I just see a little bumby behaviour at low frequency that could easily be tweaked.

I was wondering if the 2 13.6mF caps on the signal (the high-pass filter that lowers DC gain) can be replaced with a resistor and if that could still work.

The only thing is that it looks like I can't push the gain any further up and I obtained 57dB at 1KHz.
Also I don't know if this arrangement can cause problem with DC offset/drift and I am wondering if the Servo can adjust some extra DC drift.

Below the circuit, I wonder if you guys could comment it and let me know what you think.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the intrusion I don't mean to question by any means this wonderful design.

Thanks a lot Stefanoo, that matches much better with my hearing results ;-))))

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am glad that the simulation helped a little bit.
My question is though, why would we want to have a non-flat response on the bass?
This configuration might offer an unwanted warm sound presentation.

What do you think?

In fact, the bass I am hearing is very precise and see-through, it does not have warmth to it in my opinion - it is more like a muscular athlete.... this was comparing it to the Paradise R1 (which arguably is just a touch flatter), and the FPS (same thing there), both have just a small tendency of being warmer in the bass, not much though. I was using headphones to compare (K701) so the room played no role in this.

have you tried and increased C8 (in the servo), to see if that changes anything? I also see you are simulating the "old" servo circuit which MiiB calls "funny"... please check the latest schematic (R3) over in the group buy section for how this is done now.

maybe you just want to build and try, eventually measure it (now where is that anti-RIAA again....), and I will try to measure it next week when I am back (currently traveling...)

For a more precise replacement of the BC327/337 use the BC807/817-40 that come with LTspice.

The strange servo works in parallel with the RIAA into a low impedance point, the very reason why the gain is to low, and it impacts the RIAA curve as well. That's the reason I changed it back. Also I believe the servo is less intrusive when i works as an adjustment though the household, compared to when it works in the signal path.

I am in Paradise
well not right now but was a minute ago.

I got rid of his from my Paradise V2
As a temporary mesure I have aded a common mode choke to each of the channel after the single pre-regulator board.

Considering the big change this made I am going to trow a lot on next V3 build, 2 better trafos better and 2 off pre-regulators is going to be just the start.

If you are going to build this split the suply and consider this Garbage in Garbage out.

:D I was wondering if some one may have Magnum hopus thingy that is in need of disposal which I will do free of charge:D

Apart from jokes here is just what you may want to read....

Consider that it is Sunday Morning neighbours in and She is in the mood to re-arrange ornaments (mildly pi55ed of stage)

I pushed the F5 to about 2.5 V on my Polk LS15i and it is the first time Paradise V2 and my FiFi pre are running.

Difficoult to put it in to words Paradise is Just there as Joachim said.

And then same more...
Not only it sound good (if sound is the right word) Music is all there details that where hiden before are there like fingher hitting Bass string and brushing agains it, can not just hear notes I can see the string moving.
Pink F Pulse 7243 8 327001

The T that happens when musiscian close the holes on bag pipes or flute is also there.
Chieftans 2 Claddagh Records CC7

Sound good is maybe to be reserved for other phono stages I have eard that add coloration with Paradise is maybe more a question of flavor, it is a tad warm with lush Bass, and still very fast and defined (maybe a change on output caps on my preamplifier is just what is needed)

There is quite a lot of things that Paradise does prety well
Black Sabath Black Sabath is one of the loudest records I got, other stages won't cope to well with it. Paradise is ... just there it does its job and some how desapear.
Black Sabbath Vertigo VO6 (oh Yeah the original one played 6 no sorry 7 times so far, got couple of spares for evveryday use:D)

His and pop and sratches are no problem at all.
The Temptations STLM11218 1972 40 years old

So for now first impressions
Is fast
it does not oveload
it des not ad color
It can play old records and reproduce the smallest details with a pricise sound stage.

This is for now as Just when things where getting interesting
Ist a couple of minutes in to the Grand Wazoo Reprise Records K44209
I got girl friend going "juck was that eeck" so time for breack

Maybe I was used to the wrong sound out of my TT, the sound stage I had before was way bigher than my room,( temptations STLM11218) now I just need to save up for a wider room, 3 meters is not enough.

Maybe I can brighten up (and I fell it is wrong already ) things a litle bit just by changing the RIAA caps with Mica or Teflon and Z foils ?

In the mean time I just cant wait for next week when I will be working Nights and have ther Road Just for myself during the day.

Attachments

• Today I have made this 003.jpg
    Today I have made this 003.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Today I have made this 001.jpg
    Today I have made this 001.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 297