MPP

Did you build your pre- and power-amp yourself ?

I have only built the pre.
I have in mind for future development a Power Amp that I will probably design once the Phono Stage is over.

I am not as great as you guys so it took me a long time to develop this Phono.
I did a lot of measurements a lots of listening test I went through a series of Board's revision.
I am not that great! I have to say though that the phono sounds very nice so far, I can't wait to try this new Paradise V2.

Maybe you overlooked it, just in case, I can still offer some evaluation on the Beta version if needed.

Joachim

Reading this thread I have seen you posted several designs for buffer and said that your favourite one is the one copied here.
I wanted to ask you if after all this time is passed since you posted that, are you still with the same opinion?
Also, I am trying to design the servo around the buffer to use to correct the DC offset of the gain sage before that.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it work on the simulator.
Could you please give me some advice on this?

Thank you very much.

here is the file...

Attachments

• buffer with servo.JPG
    buffer with servo.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 418
Yes, that is my favorite BJT buffer still. It really sounds amazing. In the Paradise R2 we went to the simpler floating cascode J-Fet buffer because we thought that the BJT buffer could be responsible for the oscillation we found at 40 MHZ. At the end we found that it was the layout, especially the decouplig of the mirrors so the BJT buffer is not suspicious any more. In fact i use this buffer in a commercial product for L`Art du Son called Buffalo Bill without any problems.
I see that you earthed the connection between R11 and R14. How should the servo then work when you shunt the output to ground ?

I am back

Not to many gigs while in Venice but we managed to get a bit of Vivaldi
In the San Vidal Church
This is not the best place for it as the Church is far to tall and the Cembalo (Harpsichord or Balaklava for the ones in Transylvania) was totally lost.
Although the Interpreti Veneziani is a well accomplished group as a hear tune up exercise it was a waste of time and money at 25 Euros but if you are there as a tourist...

We had 1 mile away from home the usual week long bear party from the Partito Democratico, now I don't have a clue of what they stand for but stile people and offices are same as the Italian Communist party of old, sound was good enough from a mile away.
And there was the usual gig in the park about 3 miles away.

And I have almost forgot:D
My Paradise V2 is getting there Hiss is gone and it was caused by poor hearting
And long cable from supply.
I got same tidy up to do before is finished but from the little I have heard is going to be really hard to stop listening....

Attachments

• Venice 2012 079.jpg
    Venice 2012 079.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 415
I am back

Not to many gigs while in Venice but we managed to get a bit of Vivaldi
In the San Vidal Church
This is not the best place for it as the Church is far to tall and the Cembalo (Harpsichord or Balaklava for the ones in Transylvania) was totally lost.
Although the Interpreti Veneziani is a well accomplished group as a hear tune up exercise it was a waste of time and money at 25 Euros but if you are there as a tourist...

We had 1 mile away from home the usual week long bear party from the Partito Democratico, now I don't have a clue of what they stand for but stile people and offices are same as the Italian Communist party of old, sound was good enough from a mile away.
And there was the usual gig in the park about 3 miles away.

And I have almost forgot:D
My Paradise V2 is getting there Hiss is gone and it was caused by poor hearting
And long cable from supply.
I got same tidy up to do before is finished but from the little I have heard is going to be really hard to stop listening....

:) but you have to stop, may be it is posible to build the 'balanced' while listening :) Get used to it, this is the fast lane.

P.s. I do love Venice :)

One way is simply trimming the offset. You can use 3.5kOhm for R11, R14 and put a 1kOhm trimmer in between, wiper to ground.

Thanks. I got that. It was just for the sake of the simulation.
On LTSpice I tried to connect the output of the servo to the wiper of the "virtual" trimmer (which is the connection to GND) of course removing the connection to GND.
Nevertheless it doesn't work that way.

I wanted to put a servo there to correct DC fluctuation of the gainstage before that.

:) but you have to stop, may be it is posible to build the 'balanced' while listening :) Get used to it, this is the fast lane.

P.s. I do love Venice :)

Got all the bits for it box and all will have to do that when listening to FiFi is not possible (tely on neighbours in).
TT is already wired for balanced as I had INA LT1028 X5 X2 split passive RIAA
before.
Give me couple of weeks and it shuld be done.
Only scary bit is SMD to DIL part but I duble up on spares and have couple of presents from Analog devices to exercise on.

Lately I have been questioning my batch of K170/J74.
I have been trying to prototype the high gain circuit for the phono and everything seems to have a lot of popcorn noise, which is not possible for this kind of device.

So I decided to run a test tonight on the 2SK170 to see if there is something wrong with it.

In attachment the circuit I indend to run and relative noise simulation.
I would expect from it a nice wideband noise.

Please feel free to comment if you had any similar experience or to comment the circuit.

Thanks.

Attachments

• NOISE_TEST.JPG
    NOISE_TEST.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 383
  • NOISE_SIMULATION.JPG
    NOISE_SIMULATION.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 330
Got all the bits for it box and all will have to do that when listening to FiFi is not possible (tely on neighbours in).
TT is already wired for balanced as I had INA LT1028 X5 X2 split passive RIAA
before.
Give me couple of weeks and it shuld be done.
Only scary bit is SMD to DIL part but I duble up on spares and have couple of presents from Analog devices to exercise on.

You could glue the smd (using double sided sticking tape) to the middle of a dip socket/header and use some thin (silver?) wire to connect the smd to the pins, while working under a loupe :)

All,

I have simulated the paradise rev 2 and attached is the schematic and the RIAA error.
It shows a significant displacement from the ideal curve.

I am sure I am doing something wrong because I remember this was checked several time; if this is the case, can anybody point out where the flaw is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• paradise rev 2.JPG
    paradise rev 2.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 349
  • paradise rev2 RIAA precision.JPG
    paradise rev2 RIAA precision.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 331