MPP

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well, finally I got to connect the paradise in my system and there are news...

No worries about input offset.... with a Denon DL160 and 1kr loading there is no input offset.

It seems my choice of riaa values are ok because I have a nice midrange without any harshness (subjectively speaking).

Bass is strong, punchy and detailed. Highs are clear with loads of micro detail... good.

I can not go deeper in my listening impressions because only one channel is amplifying... the other one is silent. So I had to listen with two riaas connected, using the right channel of my resident jfet SE thing to evaluate.

I am having trouble with the shunt in my "bad" channel. On negative shunt I measure around 43V on TP201 TP202 (the good one measures around 29v)

Output of the shunt is ok at -24v... do not know the implications, but the truth is it does not work.

I have a steady 7mV output offset and no sound.

Agree with Joachim, thats strange.... I was listening to your boards in stereo, they sounded like mine.... I didnt measure the offset though.

Implementing that trimmer should be no problem, I will wait for the feedback from Ricardo to see if it brings anything. I will put a 10turn trimmer just like in the shunts.

I will measure it tomorrow Frans

From the fact that you have 24V we can conclude that the shunt is working. From the fact that the shunt is working we can conclude that there is a high probability that the current source is working (the voltage across TP201 and TPO202 will show what its state is (the CCS)). Then there can only one reason be for the high voltage at the top of the CCS (at TP202), the voltage source around Q201/202 is not working/broken or/and the zener ZD201 is broken (the voltage at TP203 will tell that (I hope)).

Thanks guys for jumping in and helping Ricardo.
Fortunately the new version is much less temperamental, even fool prove.
I am still looking into the little output offset issue of the new one. If that is solved i see no reason the new version could not be build by just about any body that can solder and has some basic tooling and experience. It performs very well in listening tests.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
From the fact that you have 24V we can conclude that the shunt is working. From the fact that the shunt is working we can conclude that there is a high probability that the current source is working (the voltage across TP201 and TPO202 will show what its state is (the CCS)). Then there can only one reason be for the high voltage at the top of the CCS (at TP202), the voltage source around Q201/202 is not working/broken or/and the zener ZD201 is broken (the voltage at TP203 will tell that (I hope)).
Hi Frans
Thank you for your help... I will profit to understand how the shunt works :)

Here are my measurements in the "bad" channel:

TP101 29.7V
TP102 25V
TP103 29.7V
TP104 0.5V

TP201 -43.4V
TP202 -44.6V
TP203 -44.6V
TP204 -0.5V

Vin = +-44.6V

Hi Frans
Thank you for your help... I will profit to understand how the shunt works :)

Here are my measurements in the "bad" channel:

TP101 29.7V
TP102 25V
TP103 29.7V
TP104 0.5V

TP201 -43.4V
TP202 -44.6V
TP203 -44.6V
TP204 -0.5V

Vin = +-44.6V

It seems that the zener diode ZD201 is broken (it is not conducting, so no music), check the values of R201 and R202 and if they are as expected replace the zener.

Ok... with the new 5.1v zener, TP203 is now -28.5V quite good

TP 201 still -44.3
TP 202 -45.6 not good

The 5.1V will work, but given the high input voltage I would prefer something higher. The 5.1V is the minimum value to be used; it just allows the CCS to work properly. The voltage at TP202 should be the same as at TP203 minus Vbe(Q202). The next thing to do is check the value of R203 and replace Q201 and Q202.

Update from me
I got both chanels working and played a couple of tracks.

Is not good news, but reading the last post I may know what is wrong.

As it is now back ground noise is preaty HI.

I have set the voltages so to have 17.5 V at the suply pins of the OPA134 and that may be where I am getting wrong.

As it is, there is quite a lot of noise when the nidle is up off the record.
I managed to take it down a fair bit by adding a bit of capacitance and comon mode coke near the Phono Boards, My traffo and pre regulator are about 1 meter away in a separaye box.

Now seeing Riccardo and FDW posts I know that the voltages I am using are to low.

What shuld the various voltages be on a working board ?
I am wrong in wooring about the suply to the op amp, spec sheet say 18V max?

I have 35V from Pre-reguators +17.5 at TP1 and -17.5 at TP2

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Are you using Paradise R2, the new one ? That even works with 30V from the pre regulator. Is it hiss or is it hum ?
Hum comes from transformers near the circuit and such plus correct earthing issues. My R2 is very quiet in the hiss and hum department. What are you guys doing ?

Yes, he has R2 boards. This is strange....

The 10turn pot went into the updated R2 board design, so the final boards will have offset adjustment possibility....

Hi Quick one before I get ready for flight to Venice.

Yes got R2 Boards
The noise is hiss, white noise.
There is no hum boards are realy good even with open box and fluereshent tube inches awayor moving things around there is none whatsoever the board design is absolutley brilant.

As Albert say it is strange and I think it's My fault seting up V at tp1 tp2
I have both a 25 25 Trafo and 30 30 trafo with 25 X 1.471 and diodedrops I got around 35 + - going in to the boards.

Once again I can change the V at the TP1 and TP2 (+17.5 - 17.5 at present) with the 2 k pots WHAT shuld it be set at please?

I am going to try to take it up to + - 25 at TP1 TP2

On regards to ofset I got 1.36 mV I tried the mod and it fit nice and easy on botom of boards.
It can be set to nothink and desapear with small loading resistor.
I like the space and the 2 set of pads round the imput pins Ideal for small caps and load resistor as needed by MC

Update from me
I got both chanels working and played a couple of tracks.

Is not good news, but reading the last post I may know what is wrong.

As it is now back ground noise is preaty HI.

I have set the voltages so to have 17.5 V at the suply pins of the OPA134 and that may be where I am getting wrong.

As it is, there is quite a lot of noise when the nidle is up off the record.
I managed to take it down a fair bit by adding a bit of capacitance and comon mode coke near the Phono Boards, My traffo and pre regulator are about 1 meter away in a separaye box.

Now seeing Riccardo and FDW posts I know that the voltages I am using are to low.

What shuld the various voltages be on a working board ?
I am wrong in wooring about the suply to the op amp, spec sheet say 18V max?

I have 35V from Pre-reguators +17.5 at TP1 and -17.5 at TP2

I think (as Joachim noted) that you are using R2 and that runs at about 18V, Ricardo is using R1 (the original Paradise) and that runs of 24V.

Last edited: