MPP

Attachments

• david-bowie-iman.jpg
    david-bowie-iman.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 325
I use both to check new and modified equipment!

Cat Stevens is Greek-Cypriot Londoner like George Michael.

Specially the recording of the album Older.
What a tremendous engineering skill so dynamic and yet so much quiet moments where you can tough and see the recording room.

WOW !

Sorry guys I could not resist. I wonder if you guys feel the same.

Regards,

Audiofanatic :)

I thought Kenny G was the most intelligent of all !

David Bowie is the most intelligent of all the pop stars and the richest. He made his incredible wealth with investments. Even more heavy than Elton John and Paul Mc Cartney. He was the first music artist that put his new album for free download on the net.
He is married to Iman.....

If it wasn't for Mr. G we wouldn't have Starbucks !

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. I think we better stop this OT or a moderator will have to clean all this :D

Last edited:
He bought early into Starbucks, by coincidence. It was the coffee shop in the neighborhood. His privat studio, much remote from his house is bigger then a villa in Berverly Hills. That is good luck.
Sorry, i sound like a professor. I am seriously interested in the privat life of the musicians i listen too. In the old times i put everything i could find in the few magazines of the day into the record cover.

This are my final words on High End Audio for Turbon. It is an interview i did in 1996, this is 16 years ago. Not much has changed since but i can build better equipment today. That is the nature of evolution and is not a choice we can make in my opinion. The deeper you go into the truth the less choice you have in a way. That does not imply that i know the truth but i know better who i am. I am still searching for my limit.
SpeakerBuilding.com - Articles
You hit me with a soft bullet. Sade Adu

David Bowie is the most intelligent of all the pop stars and the richest. He made his incredible wealth with investments. Even more heavy than Elton John and Paul Mc Cartney. He was the first music artist that put his new album for free download on the net.
He is married to Iman.....

I never worked with him (around 1984)
The rider is 300 pages thick the last 80 just a list of solicitors that wrote the warious paragraphs.

He likes a coffe before the gig.
It must be white cina and have a litle jug of cold milk.
No white cina no gig
No cold milk no gig
We decided to give it a miss.

Paul is total opposite
realy nice bloke
If he happens to be around sooner or later he will borow a gitar an play a tune

Last edited:
People get confused when they hear more then two channels, plus the room reflexions.
Please solve an 11 dimensional matrix for me. Now we talk string theory. 11 channels are the minimum for wave field synthesis. Guess who had the worse sound i ever heard on a High End Show ? Our own Fraunhofer Institute. I feel ashamed. Brilliant scientists.
Maybe i am too pre conditions to get it but the booth was totally empty, all the time. A scare crow, please forgive me but i was very disappointed and frustrated.
The multi channel market is dead in Germany. A multi channel receiver only sells under 600,-€ so it has reached what we called the working class in the 70th. I come from a working class family so i know what i am talking about. This is what they think is the ultimate luxury and they mean good. They just do not have the energy after a very hard working day to make the brain work.
There is a tiny market for multi channel SACD. Mostly people interested in classical.
Sure when you sit in the 20th row of a concert hall you appreciate a huge amount of diffuseness. By the way most professional musicians are not very attracted to what we call good sound. I would say that Jazz musicians and modern composers have a certain attraction to what we call "sound". I have to think deeper about this phenomenon.

When 'listening' I listen to my 2 channel setup, when 'watching' (like movies) I use the 5.1 setup. The thing is; I do not care about sound, feel, detail, resolution and all those other terms when watching a movie, I do when 'listening'.

When 'listening' I see it like this, the 'system' is composed of the source material and musical instruments, the list of these musical instruments is composed of:

Source material (software, the grooves)
Vinyl
Cartridge
Tone arm
Turntable
Amplification system
Loudspeakers
Room
Paintings
Chair
Haircut

The source material (software, the grooves) are the same everywhere, so they are ‘system’ neutral and thus not one of the musical instruments they are just ‘the source’.

Al other components act like musical instruments, change any of these and the sound, in all its complexities, will change. That is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. There is no sense in setting 'the original reproduced sound' as a goal for the reproduced sound; it just is not going to work.

Try it out, go to a concert of your favorite performers, let’s say the Berliner Philharmonic, after extensive listening invite them home; bummers the sound got changed, you may think the 'system' is at fault (ask Ken K). I do not think so, this is how it works, everything is an musical instrument, including the room, loudspeakers, amplifier ...

This is not the problem, this is the fun of it, do not solve it but embrace it. Take your record to your friend’s home and enjoy the difference. Go to the concert hall and love it.

Regards,
Frans.

Before I retired to Scotland I lived in SW London; the local pub was called "The Sun". About three minutes walk was the famous (now closed down) "Olympic Studios". The pub was very often used by famous singers and musicians, and quite a few lived in the same area. The result was that I met many of these people. Most had a very keen sense of fun. A friend of mine had worked with the Beatles way back at the beginning and had even been Manager at Apple before Alan Klien, through him I met Paul McCartney twice, once for lunch. (Very very careful of what he says in public.).

Another - who lived locally - was Roger 'Chappo' Chapman; we almost share the same birthday in April, 1942. In fact I have copy masters from all of his original albums with Family, along with the original Olympic Studio notes on the boxes. (2 track 1/4" tapes). There were also many Americans around; Jimmy Webb was a great talker and an extremely interesting man. Harry Nilsson was usually beyond the game.

And there were some great players; Bobby Tench, Jerome from Detroit....a great bass guitarist. Brian May lived nearby and was another shy but charming man of great knowledge and, being an astrophysicist, of high intellectual power.

All of these people were perfectly normal guys. None were too conscious of their talent and all had a keen interest in everything, but a driving, burning need to play/sing. I suspect that it is the media which is responsible - as always - for exaggerating their faults and personality traits to an extent which gives a totally false picture of these people...but that has always been the price of fame. It was an interesting 30 years!