MPP

Not necessary, your Hexfred´s have around 35nsec recovery, i use them too sometimes, the QSpeeds are under 10nsec.
A Schotky has a low forward drop but not better recovery. The recovery can even be more sharp. They also have some leakage.
What we need is fast and soft recovery for little EMF.

I would prefer soft recovery over low drop, both would be nice, but loosing 1V is not very important to me.

Funny, i use them too. Also the bigger 25A version.
Here is my Bakers 5.
UF4004 is the second one from the left.

Attachments

• Collection of Diodes.jpg
    Collection of Diodes.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 348
Audiofanatic, this is actually a full functioning MC phono stage with an inductive input.
I build that for ETF2011.
It makes the 75usec with the inductance of the cartridge plus the input inductor. The inductor has 4 tabs for different cartridges. By coincidence i found out that i could hear the motor of my turntable in the speakers when i put the input coils near my turntable. I left in the RIIA instead of a linear amp because then i get gain in the bass.
When i use it for listening i put the coil in a Mumetall container.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've had good success with Fairchild Stealth soft recovery diodes. For example, these have worked very well for me in various preamps that I've built.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9R460PF2.pdf

And they're not too expensive - $0.75 each at Mouser.

If low drop out voltage is needed then one doesn't need to go to a point contact diode. One can get schottky diodes with very low voltage drop - it's basically the same mechanism as a point contact, with the turn on voltage set by the work function of the metal contact vs. silicon. These diodes have Vf ~ 0.3v which isn't too bad.
http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds30492.pdf

---Gary

Turbon, we focus now on the Paradise Phonostage. I made the topology, MiiB the simulation and the housekeeping, Frans from the Netherlands the PSU and Hesener the PCB design. This is more or less the condensed knowledge we gained. We call it Paradise MPP2012. We asked a lot of questions here what people would like to see and this is the result: No obsolete parts like 2SJ74, very low noise also in the deeper frequencies, accurate RIAA ( plus - minus 0,3dB minimum ) with standard value parts, possibility to use parts with different fingerprint, possibility to use big size MIL Spec resistors, Neumann Pole as option, other EQs then RIAA on optional external board, affordable, very low distortion that goes down in the treble and to lower volumes like the human ear, the remaining minuscule distortion is only 2nd harmonic in profile, perfect layout with ground plane and frontal star earth, after debugging group buy option, on line help from 5 members, on board PSU can be disabled for experiments with different PSUs like Salas Shunt, board in red with tin plated tracks ( we decided against gold plating because that could have a nickel barrier ), external pre regulator in external shielded box, optional in stereo or double mono, success guarantied. Did i forget something ? If you have any questions regarding circuits i posted here please ask me. i will support most of what i published but not what others published / actually please give me the choice if i respond to this or not ).
On a sideline our member Sampler makes a balanced phono that i will also support.
Balanced in or out is not an option in paradise.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Turbon (and others),

you are probably talking about the Paradise phono stage, correct? If so, boards are in testing and once they are confirmed working, I will put a "data pack" together with all schematics, BOM, stuffing guide etc so that the project documentation is complete.

Bear with us for some more time....

Hi Turbon (and others),

you are probably talking about the Paradise phono stage, correct? If so, boards are in testing and once they are confirmed working, I will put a "data pack" together with all schematics, BOM, stuffing guide etc so that the project documentation is complete.

Bear with us for some more time....

Thanks Hesener! Take your time and count me in for a kit!

RCruz - yes, I will!

Joachim - thanks a lot!

Brgds