MPP

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Attached are may (currently final) research and power supply schemas with annotations. Also attached are the LTspice source files. Next thing for me (is build the real thing).

There are a positive and a negative supply and one variation that uses (almost) the same components for the negative supply as for the positive.

Also note that BC327 and BC337 transistors can be used to replace the BC550 and BC560.

And finaly, if you want more than 100 mA you should replace the single transistor (in the gyrator) with a Sziklai pair having a Rcb of about 100 Ohm. (more usage for your BC327 and BC337 transistors).

Can it be possible to avoid the zeners as Vref ? Maybe using a resistor over a ccs ?
That way the whole thing could be tuned by carefully choosing the resistor bypass cap :)

And I sometimes have noise issues with zeners (even 27v ones) and I guess 24v ones are the same. Super low noise zeners exist but.....

Attachments

• Shunt%20Vreg%2024V.JPG
    Shunt%20Vreg%2024V.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Can it be possible to avoid the zeners as Vref ? Maybe using a resistor over a ccs ?
That way the whole thing could be tuned by carefully choosing the resistor bypass cap :)

And I sometimes have noise issues with zeners (even 27v ones) and I guess 24v ones are the same. Super low noise zeners exist but.....

A string of LED's is also possible. Use a selected resistor (trimmer) for R7. The more LED's the better; I would say a minimum of five.

Attachments

• Shunt Vreg LEDs.JPG
    Shunt Vreg LEDs.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 310
I can see I remember a bit Wrong on the values for noise, Here there is a nice piece of work regarding noise in LED and Zeners, Made by Swedish DIY-Audio forum member Christer (Majstang, Krebs og surstrømming)

Given that the zener's may be a bit inconsistent, you may still like to select LED's for the reference. Using a string of 12 Yellow LED's would (Vrms added) generate about 1.3uV down to 1uV (being very optimistic) of noise (according to the list). I would say, we make place for the string of LED's and the builder can always stuff an zener diode in their place.

Last edited:
Frans, you are very pragmatic and i like that. Yes, we should make place for some Leds.
I personally have no problem with toroids either. I agree that the transformer should be in another compartment or in a separate box. This is the only way to avoid hum in a low lever circuit like that. Your preamp looks great inside. I like the copper pipes.
MiiB, that is what i was expecting. Gain goes up and so does distortion. -96dB is of cause excellent and the distortion distribution looks great. The only think i would like to see is when you go back from 50 Ohm degeneration to 20 Ohm and adjust the RIAA again for a gain of 61dB. If we get out the same distortion then the 20 Ohm degeneration would give somewhat less noise. I think after that experiment, we fix the parameters.