MPP

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I also like veroboard.... Sounds better than average quality PCB´s

Attachments

• 48dB Large.jpg
    48dB Large.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 392
Ricardo, this is nice as well but i really prefer a well made PCB. For the Opus Magnum i use G200 high temperature material from Isola. There is even better stuff from Rogers that goes into the GHz range but soldering can be a problem. It contains ceramics. Teflon boards are nearly impossible to stuff when you do not have professional tools and lots of experience. I can not hear a degration in sound when i go to PCB and when i am usually able to tune the circuit back to what i like.. For prototyping i went away from "dead bug" to Veroboard because it is much easier to debug and also because i get some hints how the PCB layout will be.
Difool, i simply buy from Reichelt, the cheapest phenolic paper is OK. They also have HF material but i did not try that.
Patrick, thanks.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
multipcb is good. tried jackaltac and they are ok as welll.

Honestly, if I have the time to layout a PCB I prefer it any time over hand-soldering.... check attached picture for the underside of my starless build... it probably took me longer to handsolder than to layout a proper PCB.

What finish do you order for your PCBs? I prefer galvanic gold, but preferences may differ....

Attachments

• underworld.jpg
    underworld.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 417
Yeh, thats a labor of love, for one that killed his parents, as we say here.
I usually order black material with yellow letters, galvanic gold, vias, G200.
Here is my latest build. I can not make it work although i already debugged it many times.
I was so angry that i destroyed the first input stage until in found out that i fitted LM337
current sources instead of LM317 ? Still it does not work although i measured each and every part. That rarely happens, but it happens.

Attachments

• Buf new PSU.jpg
    Buf new PSU.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 400
  • Buf new underside.jpg
    Buf new underside.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Buf new top.jpg
    Buf new top.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 384
This was the problem : a burned resistor in the pre regulator in an external box. Instead of 10 Ohm it had 850 Ohm. That was the reason i could measure the correct plus - minus 12 V after the regulator when the circuit was not connected. With the circuit the plus voltage went down to less the 2V. I thought the circuit is faulty ! This was a real classic that cost me several days to figure out.

Attachments

• Burned Resistor.jpg
    Burned Resistor.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 224