MPP

Capt, that is interesting historical information. I have a Tube - Fet Arthur Loesch MC build by Jürgen Ultee that uses the 2SK147 in a Tube-Fet cascode but i myself have no experience with this part other then listening to Jürgens creation. I can not make it to CES this year so i am very sorry to miss that oportunity. Maybe i can find a friend that carries them home.
Are you the gentman that gave me historical 2SK170, 2SJ74 in the first place ?
If yes, that was much apreciated. It´s now time to reveil the Fets i use. I promisse not to hide anything here i publish. It´s the 2SK369. Look at the ID curve over UDS ( or Vds if you will ) at 10mA idle for example. Where the 2SK170 has a visible bend the plot of the 2SK369 is rather flat. That translates into a very high early voltage and that has a lot of consequences that i will try to explain.

YWN

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Back to the current source YWN, your thoughts are two steps forward from mine.
The problem with that simple circuit i see is that Ube is dependent on temperature by the formular 2mV per Kelvin devided by R3 ( aproximately, sorry that i repeat that so often). Temperature sensitivity is also in the cascode. The Fet i choose is rock solid though because it has a very high early voltage. That translates into a nearly horizontal line when you plot ID in mA against UDS in Volts, even at the rather high ID of 10mA per Fet i choose. The task now is to compensate the current source against the bipoar cascode transistor. I checked iddle current over the 0.8Ohm resistor and it was rock stable. I can do that with more resolution of cause. The trouble comes from the bipolar cascode transistor i think.

Hi Joachim, not sure I follow, but I'm positively sure the servo won't be able to fix both problems, the output offset and the voltage at the drains collector junction. Yes, I think temperature can play a major role here, it may trigger the flipping, since the gain is very large.

Re my other questions, I wrote and got an email response from SYN08 and I think I now have the answers to my early other questions (compensation and RC cell). Pretty clever ideas, I would say. BTW, don't answer if you don't feel like, but have you considered asking him for permission to use the circuit (or the original ideas included into that, as per your post #1940 and #1972)? Not to say he didn't hereby overreacted, but he seem to be a nice guy though...

Where do you think i should go ?
I continued this discussion only because i got requests. So this is all in retrospect. I already canceled the project in question and non of the circuits published here got ever into a product anyone can buy.
My assotiated whould kill me if i publish a circuit here that they financed.
I give up. Lets NEVER talk about that circuit again here please.

See my last post YWN. If i will ever use again an idea he originally had and i am not so blind not to realise it i will ask him for permission. Reading his words though about my
non existing abilities to measure and design i am not sure if he ever will realise my aproach more then an insect trying to stitch him.
i am totally demotivated now and stop my thread.
This does not make any sense to me any more.
Good by friends.

Hi Joachim,

hundreds of diy'ers will be very sad, if you will stop your thread.:(

Please take some hours of sleep :) and reconsider your decision:)

Sometimes there are missunderstandings, and people do not recognize that things are finished and are given to the filling basket.

The www gives us the opportunity to share and support your research, and especially for me dummkopf, to participate.:)

Please keep going on.

Herzliche Grüße

SAm

So Syn08 and YMV are pissed because of a topolgy mentioned since perhaps 1969 (1.Version Tietze-Schenk) and Joachim is to stop developing and contributing to the community? Salas is right, what a heartening move :down:

Hi Ingemar ! The Topology goes further back then the HPS 5.1. First there was the Self MC pre-pre back in the 90th. Then there was the Colins circuit in AudioXpress that uses a Fet.
Around the same time there was Burkhard Vogels BUVO that had a RIAA wraped around the input stage, again with bipolar input. Mr. Vogel split the gain though. His input stage has 47dB of gain and then he adds an adjustable linear gain stage. I also published a circuit in Linear Audio Volume 0 that has that kind of gain cell but set up as a symmetrical INA. Looking even further back Mr.Self must have gotten his idea somewhere and i found his basic topology in "Halbleiter Schaltungstechnik, Tietze-Schenk". I have only the latest issue 13. The basic circuit is on page 497. How old that idea is i can not say but Vogel also refers to Tietze-Schenk so i asume it has been there for many years. There is no new thing under the sun ( King Salomon ). What i claim is novel with my circuit is that i do the amplification and EQ in one stage. That saves me 2 gain stages compared to the HPS5.1 and one gain stage compared to the BUVO.
i also think that i have not lost quality in the process. There is around 77dB of feedback availlable at 20kHz so distortion should be superbly low. The Fets i use are optimised for Audio and have a very high Early Voltage for example plus low 1/F frequency plus low GR noise. I have other details in the circuit that give excellent PSU rejection and i drive the Fets at a certain operation points that avoids heating and gate current. I have published cascoded Fet stages here aplenty since the beginning of my thread 19 month ago. I must admit that i learned a lot about noise from Synn08 and Scott Wurzer, although it was not always a smooth ride.

Joachim,

I have been a member here for more than 8 years. I completely understand how you feel, but please take it easier. This is a virtual communication and you may expect all possible kind of reactions.

I believe you will return and will be overlooking some posts.

I have sent you an e-mail, and I hope I have used a correct e-mail address. Please let me know.

Best regards,

Hello friends !
I will not take back my decission. The MPP thread will not be fueled by me any more.
If you have the desire to post here please do and i take the option if i answer or not but i will not publish any further circuits here.
You will not totally loose me though i am afraid.
I started the ZDL thread some time ago and have done some research in the backround.
I am now in contact with Dominik Stoll so you will see some progress there.
Instead of the MPP thread i plan to start a thread called " Measuring Low Level Stages".
It will have a wider scope then just phonostages and will include measurements on linestages too. I also badly have to learn more about PSU´s so this gives me the oportunity to look into that. This new thread may not contain as much circuit diagrams as you are used too from me and i will try to hold back my subjective impressions a bit but i can not swear on that. Thanks people, this thread was an amasing experience with your contribution.

Instead of the MPP thread i plan to start a thread called " Measuring Low Level Stages".
It will have a wider scope then just phonostages and will include measurements on linestages too.

That's a perfect idea, please consider my 2 cents:

Attachments

• Buff07.PNG
    Buff07.PNG
    49.4 KB · Views: 583
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Pavel ! I thought so too. So this is your new buffer. Looks good. I hope you will post things like that on my new thread.
My plan is to look into PSU´s first and i am in a process to collect some new regulator designs.

Joachim,

I can understand your decision but would like to say that I thought the Mpp thread had a wealth of interesting things, ideas and thoughts. Thank you for that.

jan didden

YWN....

YWN

Having checked your posts on other threads it is obvious that you are quite relentless in extracting information which you believe you need. A bit like a dog with a bone, as it were.

This thread has proved to be one of the best on the WEB regarding any specific audio DIY area. Joachim is a professional who has been in the industry for years. It seems at a quick reading that you spotted some similarity with an existing design and posted the fact in a rather pointed if succinct manner. In response Joachim immediately not only ceased work on that design but also made that fact clear in the thread and most definitely had closed down anything to do specifically with that design and the principles which were in question. Yet you persisted in questioning various aspects of that clearly abandoned concept.. [I actually believe that Joachim would also have destroyed his notes on that design as he has a highly developed concept of personal honour.]

Eventually Joachim felt that your questioning was so persistent that he had simply had enough and withdrawn, effectively leaving the thread at large hanging in the air. IF provoking that was your intention I must acknowledge your success.... but I would not congratulate you.

Others imply that you are in their opinion a ventriloquist's dummy for Syn08 (With or without his knowledge). I believe, having seen that you have been equally persistent on other threads, that it is just in your nature to behave like that and that your quest for knowledge / infliction of what you know/think is so strong as to make consideration of the feelings of others impossible for you to embrace.

What that selfishness has achieved is the ending of a very very good thread and there are as a result a great number of people who have been deeply disappointed. NO-ONE has done more than Joachim in terms of sharing not only his knowledge and development of so many projects, but he has also put a wealth of designs into the public domain. Nelson Pass also - of his generosity - has given a vast number of designs to this community with nothing asked for in return. John Curl has - rather than give away schematics - provoked people to THINK and has done much to bring about more focused thought.

I suggest that you READ what is said and act with far more humility than you have shown to date. You - and everyone else here - has no God given right to wring the last bit of information out of anyone. The site is run by common consent and relies upon an innate sense of reasonableness and balance. It is this aspect of reasonableness which you have pushed beyond any acceptable limit and with such dire consequence.

That your questioning and disagreement with explanations given resembles a form of interference used by many to disturb forum threads - or to purposely trip other posters [a form of cyber blood sport] - both here and elsewhere may or may not be relevant. .

Last edited: