MPP

I had a really long phone call with Mr.Vogel and he gave me permission to publish his schematic. He also had no problems that i use some of his ideas

Attachments

• BUVO MC amp.jpg
    BUVO MC amp.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 433
Hi Pavel ! Yes, i have his book. It is indispensible. That guy has a sharp and clear mind.
Next year the second edition comes out and by what he told me on the phone the content is mouthwatering and it has 30% more pages.
He will even show low noise tube circuits ( he admitted that solid state does better in the noise department, but he tried hard to minimise it even with standart tubes ) and there is a chapter about pitfalls in FFT measurements and doing modern high resolution measurements in general.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
He will even show low noise tube circuits ( he admitted that solid state does better in the noise department, but he tried hard to minimise it even with standart tubes ) and there is a chapter about pitfalls in FFT measurements and doing modern high resolution measurements in general.

He is doing very well trying more with tubes also. While my JFET is 20dB better in noise and I can easily hear the more resolution and less THD, still my Valve Itch pulls a couple of suave musicality tricks in some areas that are hard to deny simply as euphonic colorations.

Transistors have other distortions that do not show up with static measurements like thermal distortion and even change of shape over current. The input capacitance of tubes is also much more benigh because you could say it is a vacuum capacitor whereas capacitance in J-Fets for example is highly unlinear even if the nominal value is small.
I do not want to open up a can of worms though. Heavy Feedback can kill a lot of this nonstatic distortion too and i an convinced that global NFB circuits can be made that sound very musical and charming. They just need the same loving attention that the open loop circuits get BUT they talk another language.

Transistors have other distortions that do not show up with static measurements like thermal distortion and even change of shape over current.

Hi Joachim,

this both is measurable. I suspect that many people like added low-order HD and IMD of several 0.01%, or a decreasing comb-shaped distortion. Some tests were made, but I would rather discuss it if I hopefully meet you once in Germany, that I visit every year.

Best,

Vogel gives tribute to Self as his forrunner and from the Roberts circuit you can see that similiar thing have been done even 30 years back before, and JC did that even 42 years before. Where did he get the idea from ? See also Tietze-Schenk where the circuit was presented, although very rudimentary, as a very low noise Photo Diode amplifier.
I think it was the exact details that stired the reaction but please let´s move on and be productive. I slept very well and dreamless tonight.

Pavel, please visit me any day. I am a decent cook and you can examine my undermotorised lab and my incompetent use of it. On the other hand
I got an invitation to the Praque show. I was there last in 76 when there still was the iron curtain and it left a deep impression on me. I was particular amased how well the older guys talked German and i had some very good beers and roasted bread in the Uflecku ( i do not know if i spell that right ). A phantastic meal in the Pelikan cost me 5DM back then and the magic puppet theatre was mesmerising. I also learned from the government officials that Chech people have a great tradition of engineering so i may meet you there. I am a big fan of Kaffka also and i heard that the word "Robot" is Chech and was invented for a "mechanical man" in the theatre. I can sing part of your national hymn. My latin teacher Mr.Venhuda was chech.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, Mr.Vogels motivation comes from watching professional musiciance really goig crazy on tube equipment right now even in the recording studio. The noise they capture is then filtered out digitally in the last stage of mastering. Is´nt that amasing?

If you have listened to a Manley VoxBox mic pre (near to what tech is needed for a phono) VS the perfect spec OA mic input channels of the desks, you would know why. I have made comparisons with my own voice on a Neumann with the Manley, & Avalon tube mic preamps, and the Tascam digital desk on pro tools.