MPP

I slept well, thank you very much.
I put more thought into the BJT INA.
The current sourced caskode did not work so well with BJT´s so i simplified a bit.
They are now fed by a capacitance multiplier and the feedback goes directly from the collectors.
Circuits like that proved to work in designs by Douglas Self and Burkhard Vogel but they used them unbalanced.
Idle current in my design is adjutable for minimum DC offset and optimisation for an MC with higher impedance like the Denons and Clearaudios.
When i use 4 x 4 input transistors and reduce the feedback resistor to 1 Ohm i could get 0.3nV/qHz in a balanced design.

Attachments

• Discreet INA BPJ Ultra Low Noise Bal In - Bal Out.TSC - .pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 191
i promissed some photos.
I have build a lot of stuff where i only posted the schematic.
I changed now from building in the small metall boxes to groudplane construction.
I use a double sided board so in a double mono construction i have 4 groundplanes and i use a metal box under that for a 5th groundplane. I place connections of the groundplanes at strategic positions. I also earth the planes at one point with a 6.8uF cap to wall outlet earth.
I have a cable with two wires from the tonearm and one shield that is connected together at the tonearm side. That way i can try balanced and unbalanced.

Attachments

• Rosi with 75usec RIAA.jpg
    Rosi with 75usec RIAA.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Balanced In - Unbalanced Out Buffer.jpg
    Balanced In - Unbalanced Out Buffer.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 437
  • MPP High Z Capacitive RIAA.jpg
    MPP High Z Capacitive RIAA.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 436
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
i started to build the Shunts. The cabinets arived and i bought BHC Slit Foil caps instead of Sikorel. I worked a lot with Dennis Morcroft of DNM. the invertor and always wanted to try them. Mosfet are also on the way and i build most of the small parts.

BHC Slit Foil 10000uF 50V I have used in many phono builds, they are excellent value. Good move. Very big box I see. You are going full force.

Great Work Joachim

Man I thought that I was the only one that made prototypes like this.

We are very much alike.

Nice pic's and like Salas said I like P2P and you can make changes to it fast and listen within minutes.

Where are your 12 volt batteries?

Hey I see something I like very much, in the middle of the picture "Sonics" :p

Thanks for posting your pic's Joachim.

I'm going to bed now, it's way past bed time over here 3:50 in the morning, I'm almost finished, designing my new power amp :cool:

Tjuus,

Audiofanatic ;)

i tried MKP1837 in the signal path in front of my poweramp and i can not detect if they are in or out. I also use them as bypass in spaekers. Röderstein/Vishay make now also a KP (film-foil) in smaller values.
The LCR HX Styroflex behave very similiar.
As RIAA caps the nonmagnetic Silver Mica give slightly more speed and treble resolution.
I never tried Teflon but i owned a Lyra Phonostage that had them in the RIAA.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The best i tried is nonmagnetic Silver Mica. I can get them up to 10nF in 1%.
When you look carefull you can see them as compensation caps in the Discreet INA.
They are this little blue guys, dipped. I think they are made by Hitachi.
Never tried NPO/COG in RIAA but for decoupling OP´s they are just fine.
I use them when i make a PCB.

I want to try them bcs I will need 100n and 33n and found an Epcos 33n 30pcs batch +/- 10% so I see if I will get lucky for values. Cyrill Bateman found vanishing low distortion for them. My Silver Mica are excellent CCCP 15.72n ones but huge! The COGs will have layout benefit if they will sound decent. Else I will use Teflon. Biggies but sure quality.