MPP

Ikoflexer. in the new year i will make PCBs. The MPP Low Z is finished and i have several conventional and inductive RIAAs where the last problem is some hum infusion into the coils. i am working on it. There will be a high Z MPP with FETs. I ordered some preselected ones from Borbely but he is bussy with other things. I will now order some elswhere and do the measurements myself. I am working on the shunts that Salas designed. I did also a fitting speaker (Dipol, 95dB sensitivity) and have a class A single ended Poweramp under way. I build my version of the B1 that fits well too. Then i have the subsonic filter and the cutter head compensation. I just have to present it here in a form that allows building without problems. I will sell stuffed board but will not offer kits. I have no time for a lot of aftersales service.

The noise is 10mV maximum at the speakers so syn08 you came close. Sitting alone in the evening i can barely hear it. It is extremy quiet than in my small vilage. During the day i can not hear it. It is much lower then the hiss of 95% of the records though. I can not win a noise contest with the ECHO but it is as good as most low noise Opamps and costs vitually nothing. Sound is very good too. Very transparent with robust and fast bass and fundamental tone area. it has great dynamics too. This is an entry level circuit and i can do better and have shown it here. My best circuit is 0.5nVQHz right now but i will try to reduce that to find out if that sounds any better.

Today i did some finetuning. I found the sound after more listening a bit bright. A lot of light and not much shadow. So i changed the PSG for my slighly more mellow Mace preamp, changed the cable beween the ECHO and the inductive shelve RIAA and tried a Polystyrene cap instead of the silver Mica. Tonal balance after that change was very close to before but the sound was somewaht more homogenious between midrange and overtones. The silver mica has the edje in sharpness and tightness but the Styroflex was more easy on my ears so i prefer it slighly here. It is a matter of taste. The difference was not as big as i hoped. Unfortunately i can not measure RIAA precission in the next 3 weeks so there maybe a slight problem with the circuit there. The simulations went fine and i can usually trust it. Anyway, here and now i recommend the active version of the inductive RIAA that really wokrs fine until i have measured the shelve version.

I do not have a DIY business yet and when, what do you have against it ?
Or did i understand that hint wrong ?

Yes, a thread freely asking for inputs should not turn into a for profit project. Everything posted here is in the public domain for anyone to offer a kit/board/etc.

BTW I don't have the slightest interest in getting even a penny from any contributions to anyone's projects be they DIY or for profit.

Last edited:
Firstly there has been no direct invitation asking for technical input; Salas has clearly contributed to the CCS/PS aspect of this developing thread - as he has with generosity done in so many threads. The bulk of the 'input' from members has been somewhat negative and overly critical. [In fact I don't see that it has generally been very helpful]

I think that Joachim has made it adequately clear that he is gifting the schemes which he has published here to the members for without profit personal usage. If he does decide to make boards available there is a price to be paid - whoever produces them. That is within the best spirit of the forum. If he does produce stuffed boards ready for diy connection in an enclosure supplied by the buyer, I am sure that he will deal with the matter in an appropriate and acceptable manner in keeping with the spirit of largesse and the traditions of the forum - which have been admirably met by him so far.

It is equally clear to me that Joachim has bigger fish to fry than to make a few hundred bucks at the most from this exercise. It is also clear that he has already got a 100% commercial product fully developed and launched.

There are some exceptionally talented members here who could easily take part in a similar exercise but it seems that they are reluctant to do so. Nelson Pass, Frank Schoeder, Planet10, Zen Mod and a few others - now joined by Joachim - are the people who make this forum as strong as it is...the academic, high flown discussions, although valuable to many, are theoretical and information of use to the majority of [hobbyist and often financially poor] members is given very reluctantly and in very in very meagre portions by those involved in that aspect of the forum.

Last edited:
Brianco, you read my mind. I whould like to say that i am not disapoited at all that there is not more technical input and the critical responses only tell me that i found a nerve that hurts. I found this fastastic work of Salas (as i said my weakness is power supply and poweramp) and learned a lot from people like Scott Wurzer and Syn08 that have a more dry humor then me. I finished my commercial stage before i entered this forum so i hope i have not stolen anything. I plan to show more here. So next will come two Headamp circuits with only Opamps and resistors that are very easy to build and have great performance in terms of bandwidth, distortion and noise.

Hi Joachim
your thread is nice to follow from the beginning without too many negative influences/intrusions or comments. Surprisingly Syn08 is benign with his comments so far in your thread. Ultimately your contributions will be felt once people build and listen. DIY audio is listening to ones built product and enjoy the fruits of building a circuit. Simpler circuits will be welcome in DIY Audio community eventhough the circuit is not having the highest S/N or having the lowest Distortion. But it should meet certain minimum technical requirements as well should sound pleasant.
congratulations for bringing something new to this site. It will be nice somebody offers PCB and parts as I do not like to do P to P type of construction nor interested in etching my own PCB. Even Syn08 should offer a PCB if his circuit if his design is to be tried by many
the Proof of the pudding is in eating!
kannan

Thanks Kannan. That ecourages me to continue.
Before i fly to Vegas i wanted to give you this two circuits. First i wanted them to be called "Sharc" because they use statistic avaraging like a sharc does for hunting pray.
Analog Devices uses that name so I will call them Dolfin Low Z and Dolfin High Z.
They solve a lot of problems. Noise is 0.3nVQHz, distortion is under the very low noisefloor and bandwidth in the Low Z version is 2.5MHz -3dB. I have not build the High Z version but it should work too. The Low Z version had very low offset and when offset is a probem in the High Z version a buffer with servo can be added. What i find fascinating in the Low Z version is that there are no caps or servos needed. Sound is great too. I used the AD797 but LT1115 and the new low noise precission opamps from Analog Devices and Burr Brown should work too. Powersupply rejection is great too by the way. Ah ! no sorting and matching or trimming needed !

Attachments

• Shark Low Z.TSC - TINA.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Shark High Z.TSC - TINA.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 207

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Joachim, I personally see nothing wrong in getting something back for all the work you put in developing this. I do hope you continue your exploration.

I'm not sure though of Scott's position. Because it is in the public domain, it would be ok and moral for somebody else to take this circuit, which was mostly designed, built, and tested by Joachim, and then start selling boards or kits for a profit?

To me diy does not equal "I will give away everything for free." I will gladly pay a bit extra for a very nice pcb if it's something that saves me some time and effort.

On the other hand, if Scott means to say that it is wrong to come here to fish for ideas and get valuable input to improve one's commercial product giving nothing back to those that contributed, then I agree with him.
Just my 2c.

Yes, i will continue and i will offer stuffed boards and PCBs when i think i am ready.
A lot of other people are doing that here and i am a bit surprised that i get pushed. I even bought some parts and PCBs from a contributor here that stands in high regard without trouble.
DIY is my hobby. Maybe because i am not native english or american i express myself sometimes not clear enough. When i do something that does not fit here tell me and i stop it.

I understand. I have no probem when people use my circuits. Feel free to make boards, kits or whatever. When the result makes good sound i am happy. I thought it whould be good when there is a version availlable that got my blessing and works the way i like it.

I apologize for not getting your opinion before I spoke. It's one of my hot buttons, why the audio folks can't organize like the software folks (FSF) I don't know.

ikoflexer - yes its a fine line, if Joachim is fine with someone spinning a board with maybe a lower cost BOM or some circuit mods with different component then it matters less.

Last edited: