Mpp - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2010, 02:31 PM   #981
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
We used to walk about 1/2 a mi into the storm drain system to get total sensory deprivation. I understand the feeling. I still think the brain is reacting to the confusion and it is not simply the "noise floor". Ikoflexer sent me a link to that paper on how stocastic resonance figures into this. This is clearly beyond a casual discussion of anecdotal experiences.
Fear as noise. Well, if you think what kind of confusion and disaster it may bring...Kinda of a bad transmission of critical war news.
Old 5th March 2010, 04:46 PM   #982
diyAudio Member

We hear what we hear. Sometimes, I am amazed what we can hear. Dogs smell what they smell, they don't 'guess' the trail of what they are tracking. That always amazes me, as well.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:19 PM   #983
diyAudio Member

I think that mercury wetted relays compromise the sound. This is a test. ;-)
Old 6th March 2010, 01:12 AM   #984
diyAudio Member

I am not very experienced with relays. Usually i try to avoid them.
I will get a Tent Labs volume control that uses relays and Dale resistors because i build a preamp for a friend that wants remote control. I will compare it to my PSG preamp that is currently in the system of my friend. He is very happy with the result and will report if he hears any degration when he gets the relay controled preamp. He has an excellent system and a very good room. He has over 20 years experience with high end and i can trust him.
On another issue i build the Low Z Fet MPP. It worked right away. Bias at the input can be adjusted to a very low level and it is very stable. It should be because Fets are constant current sources. I had some trouble to adjust Bias to zerro at the input and also at the output the same time so i used a coupling cap to test it.
I think i have a solution for that and will try that out tomorrow.
Old 6th March 2010, 01:15 AM   #985
diyAudio Member

i just have noticed that Burr-Brown has a new 32 Bit DAC. Well that is a bit off topic but it is interesting how fast they reacted after ESS and AKM brought their 32 bit models.
let´s hope we get some sound improvement in digital too. The gear is there but what will the majors do !
Old 7th March 2010, 12:58 AM   #986
diyAudio Member

Today i listened 3 hours to music. I used a new version of the High Z MPP with inductive RIAA. I listened to different loading resistors and the good news is that value matters more then type. Tomorrow i tell you more.
Old 7th March 2010, 01:05 AM   #987
diyAudio Member

Hi Joachim,

Have a good night sleep!
You need it as much as I do we're always awake in the early (night) hours trying to make good things better

Tjuus,

Audiofanatic
Old 7th March 2010, 04:17 PM   #988
diyAudio Member

Joachim, I understand that you don't like relays, however, I have specific need for a relay. as the project that I am working on demands some sort of relay. However, IF I put my opinion on mercury wetted relays on another thread, it probably would not have appeared. Thanks for letting me put it here. Now, back to more interesting things.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:30 PM   #989
diyAudio Member

i like the convenience of Relays very much but so far i did not find the time to test different types. I have an engineer friend in Vienna that has a lot of experience with relays. Maybe i find the time to ask him, I remember he told me that there are relays that are optimised for the uA range so they should have good resolution with tiny signals.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:16 AM   #990
diyAudio Member

i build a new High Z MPP and have it currently plaing with the Inductive RIAA.
I made some improvments that lowered distortion and offset much.
I will constantly use it so i used good parts.
The reason for this is, that i wanted to try different load resistors.
i began to compare 47kOhm Tantal to 1Kohm Tantal.
In my system 47kOhm does not work.
For example on Hellen Merill in Tokio, her voice was too spitty for my taste. Silbiants where clearly more standing out then a natural voice has.
The 1kOhm did much better. I then substituted the Tantal with a Texas Components naked Z Foil and the sound got more detailed but it just was not right still.
Then i tried to load down. Brianco had send me 300 Ohm Dale noninductive military wirewounds and they fittet absolutely well. The sound got much more robust and dynamic and i could listen very loud without fatique. So at least in the context of my system the expensive Z Foil was not as good performing then the old Dale.
The Dale even had magnetic endcaps, so i concluded that resistor value is more important then type. I now will try to get some 300 Ohm Z Foil to try if that is an improvement.
I also will try 138 Ohm, the value that Davis Wilson is using with the Lyra Olympos.
I have an Olympos too, so when i find the time i can try that too. Usually i do not like to swap cartridge too often because you never know if you hit the sweetspot. The Titan i that i am using performes admirably so i am a bit reluctant to try the Olympos.
Maybe i wait until Martina Schöner is showing up the next time.
She really enjoys cartridge setup so i could leave it to her.
Tomorrow i will try 100 Ohm. I have a pair of YAM2 ready for that.

Hide this!Advertise here!