Mpp - Page 942 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2013, 01:28 PM   #9411
diyAudio Member

Yes, you inspired me to design it and i learned from you.
MiiB even build a balanced version. In his version the current for the input stage is supplied by solar panels i think. The panels are in a closed box and bulbs light the panels.
He had quite a few problems with heat.
Old 1st August 2013, 02:05 PM   #9412
diyAudio Member

Here is what I've come up with. This preserves the natural focus of the buffer. I'm not sure why. As you can see I used a toroidal coil to rule out interference (and also just for fun). The coil I used is actually 500nH, but 2uH is what it takes for unconditional stability, and still sounds great. You don't necessarily need the 47R output resistor, but it keeps the cable from resonating too bad, and it is something I hesitate to leave out of any buffer.

I tried switching the collector of Q1 to the emitter of Q2. This sounds very good, but has .01% THD with H2 at -80db. I thought it may have better focus but I'm really not sure. In any case the effect is very enjoyable. However ultimately I settled on this version for sounding more accurate in general, to me at least, and having less distortion.
Attached Images
File Type: png Kuartlotron-DC-8-1-13.png (98.1 KB, 323 views)
Old 1st August 2013, 03:47 PM   #9413
diyAudio Member

Ok, i will build it.
Old 1st August 2013, 05:03 PM   #9414
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Yes, you inspired me to design it and i learned from you.
MiiB even build a balanced version. In his version the current for the input stage is supplied by solar panels i think. The panels are in a closed box and bulbs light the panels.
He had quite a few problems with heat.
Joachim, I have also learned a lot from you, especially in controlling noise.
It is for me a honor , to have inspired you in creating such a nice circuit.
Old 1st August 2013, 06:42 PM   #9415
diyAudio Member

My pleasure.
Old 1st August 2013, 06:43 PM   #9416
diyAudio Member

It is in use at Zellaton at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stille zellaton.jpg (657.0 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Stille zaellaton 2.jpg (599.3 KB, 285 views)
Old 1st August 2013, 06:44 PM   #9417
diyAudio Member

Sorry the came out " on the head ".
Old 2nd August 2013, 05:47 PM   #9418
diyAudio Member

This is not analog but interesting nevertheless :
SRC Comparisons
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:28 PM   #9419
diyAudio Member

I rebuild one channel of the Kean buffer to latest specs.
It worked right away. It is darn hot here so i need a break. I will build the other cannel later and then listen.
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:48 PM   #9420
diyAudio Member

I use an FFT resampler that was a little hard to get. Most resamplers use varying kinds of interpolation which can only be approximate. "Oversampling" on DACs is still some kind of interpolation. FFT resampling in a DAC would require a microprocessor to apply the FFT algorithm. Using an FFT however allows a much more exact conversion. It seems more and more producers are considering this.

The worst errors occur when converting between 44.1k and 48k. I helped with the development of Synthfont (MIDI sampler/sequencer) and suggested to the developer to include an FFT resampling algorithm. Since most of the samples available are 48k or 44.1k, this improved resampling quite a bit and really helped to reduce that "MIDI sound". This is very important for sequenced music.

2L has put up some music samples that were resampled using a "saracon" resampler, which I guess is popular. I wrote an email pointing out the heterodynes in the spectrogram compared to the non-resampled version but did not receive a response.

I get a kick out of playing their 350KHz samplerate files, FFT resampled to 192KHz. I don't think this has much to do with the samplerate, but I think the 2L recordings are still really great.

As far as sample conversion however, the most interesting thing to me is that the largest audible effect seems to be in the bass and lower midrange, not necessarily the treble where you would think.

Last edited by keantoken; 2nd August 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!