Mpp - Page 794 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 01:05 AM   #7931
diyAudio Member

When the technical performance of an amplifier falls over the audible threshold we can measure that fault. It may still sound great for some but it is not accurate any more.
When it is not accuracy any more what we want who has the golden ears that guide us ?
Old 6th December 2012, 01:10 AM   #7932
diyAudio Member

Good morning out there,
dear Stefano, despite the fact im really not willing and
able to design anything as you try to.
On the other hand, i see you are impressed by rather
mediocre circuits and magic parts.
Please dont get me wrong, but i would like to emphase
you, simply, build this prapradise thingie without fancy
parts and then, judge.
After that, if there is some breath left, go further.
Just my 5 cents.

Last edited by Benedetto; 6th December 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:51 AM   #7933
diyAudio Member

Let the children play, Peter.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:08 AM   #7934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Let the children play, Peter.
I hope you are not referring to me!!

Responding to Peter, maybe it is not clear to you or few other people around here that I have a deep background in electronic and 10 years on hand on experience on design work and I am an highly paid EE.
I do both HW and embedded code.
Designed for industrial, avionics, medical and commercial field.
I just want to scratch this off the plate sometime, since we don't have knowledge of each other, doubts can arise.

I chase the best sound i can obtain and I don't get happy with the first circuit I try.
I tried many, many circuits and I wasn't thrilled by many of them.

I got a reference system which allows me to her any single difference and last but not least I got very good ears.

Said this disclaimer to say that I have tried the paradise AS IS.
I don't want to be disrespectful toward the hard work that has been done here.

I will just say then that at the end if the day I am still looking for something exciting.
Anyway, remember, it is not easy to thrill me and so to many people's ear paradise might sound more than satisfactory and even excellent.
I have carried out several changes not all positives but in the end I rig up the best sound that I could get from the paradise's topology and it become much more exciting fast and detailed to m y ear and with my system.

To connect to my friends brianco, I don't only rely on simulation and paper.
Obviously it is a start, but my approach to audio bases a lot on tuning done on the system with known recordings I consider to be reference since I had the opportunity to hear the same performances on the same room they were recorder with same ensemble and I completely agree with you and all the points you touched there.

This said I am still looking for a phono design that will really thrill me.
I might not ever get fully satisfied but I keep trying and at the end it could be fun.
Regarding magic part, there isn't much to say, no one is forcing you to use these.
It doesn't matter and it would be pointless to discuss this matter here.

You also mentioned you can't do design work but then you stated that I get thrilled by mediocre circuits.
Would you mind telling me what circuit you refer to?
One shot? Master piece? Transconductance circuit?...because any of these circuits are far from Being mediocre.

Anyway, I just felt the need to clarify my position and I wouldn't want to debate further but rather focus our attention, for who is interested, on development of this new circuit simple but very slick.

This all for the attention and let's continue keeping this thread as technical as possible living the rest input of it.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:23 AM   #7935
leflu is offline leflu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Stefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanoo View Post
I got a reference system which allows me to her any single difference and last but not least I got very good ears.
I very interested about your ref. sys.. To what components are you comparing
the paradise (and all other circuits). Just to understand about what kind of level
we are talking about.

Greetings Ulf
Old 6th December 2012, 09:32 AM   #7936
diyAudio Member

Dear friends :
I had an unpleasant experience today. Many people are calling me that got an e-mail that i am in Manila, have being robbed and need money. This is not a joke, its true.
Please ignore this mail. Someone has cracked my account and sends out spam.
I have taken counter measures and i hope that is sufficient.
Old 6th December 2012, 09:38 AM   #7937
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dear friends :
I had an unpleasant experience today. Many people are calling me that got an e-mail that i am in Manila, have being robbed and need money. This is not a joke, its true.
Please ignore this mail. Someone has cracked my account and sends out spam.
I have taken counter measures and i hope that is sufficient.
It is an old scam, that seems to strike from time to time, i think most people are aware by now
Old 6th December 2012, 09:43 AM   #7938
diyAudio Member

OK, fine. I still got a lot of calls from people that thought that i am in danger. Thanks my friends that you care about me.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:01 AM   #7939
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Yes I got the mail today... anyway I know it is spam because you are there.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:04 AM   #7940
diyAudio Member

Stefano, i can understand your position. You want something " exciting ".
That is part of our hobby or call it a passion.
You identify certain elements that makes a difference in your system for the better.
Namely you made the experience that teflon caps ( particular ones) sound better and you do not like electrolytic caps, at least where they are not absolutely necessary.
I can accept this position. When you look over to the Blowtorch thread you will find quite fierce discussion about the audibility of passive components.
The "subjective" group would immediately agree with you. The "objectivists" mostly are on a standpoint that boutique parts even disturb the sound and that good mass produced parts are cheeper and more neutral.
My position is that when i am unsatisfied with the result i try to find out what is wrong and fix it. I certainly value topology and fine tuning over using exotic parts in a circuit that does not perform very well. For example when you have a phono stage that has some noise no cap in the world can reduce that unless it is part of the noise reducing topology. The same for distortion. A high distorting stage can not be rescued with an exotic cap.
Nevertheless, when all is said and done and the circuit is maxed out topology wise good passive components can make an audible difference that is hard to measure.
I hear differences like that too but i would call them small. Nevertheless effects like that can culminate so i do not wright them off in principle.
We just have to find a better language and terms like " drastic" "amazing" "night and day" are not very descriptive to nail the effect down. I think that is where we may have differences.

Hide this!Advertise here!