Mpp - Page 780 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 11:18 AM   #7791
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Nice panel !!!
This is a heavily damaged one that I got of eBay, I got a pair of them for 1000US and shipping to here was handled for flight cost only by a friend of me. My own 2 panels look mint, but one of the low-range-speakers is non-functioning, it will be replaced by the 'American'-spare . The 'American'-spare is currently in the system to test/evaluate it, these panels 'Carver Amazing, Platinum Edition' are now more than 20 years old, but I have 4 spare magneto-stats in the 'American'-spares . The sound is nice mellow and real loud as needed (one American magazine claims the have gone to 118dB).

This is a good/nice read: Carver Amazing Loudspeaker (Platinum Edition) | Stereophile.com
Old 30th November 2012, 11:19 AM   #7792
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Is that the hand-held one light year model?
Good catch yes it is actually giving the right circumstances it will do a few light years more. The guys from ATL sometimes play tricks when controlling my system from their home (go figure). I never give them my passwords again

Last edited by FdW; 30th November 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #7793
diyAudio Member

Here is some good information about depletion mosfet CCSs.http://www.waltjung.org/PDFs/Sources...visit_0409.pdf

I watched that Forbin film yesterday night, pretty cool.
i also like Fasbenders "Welt am Draht"
Old 30th November 2012, 11:56 AM   #7794
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
Carver Amazing
I loved the 2-tone versions of the Amazing, blue cloth & wood frame(ash?) and the blue/black combo.
A Jimmy-B good instead of a Carver spaced-out power amp, what heresy !

Look better than Apogee, and most certainly sound better

(Faustrecht der Freiheit, 1st Fassbinder movie i saw, ZDF or 3er netz on TV, mid '70s. Very impressive, and with pretty footage of a DeTomaso Pantera GTS)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 30th November 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 04:16 PM   #7795
diyAudio Member

Got some nice R-Cores from Japan. They are not cheep though. Over 100,-€ per pc. plus tax and shipping. They are 30VA and give a plus-minus 18V DC supply.
Can be used for the Paradise.

On a another planet i have improved my Transimpedance Tube Phonostage. Noise is now equally low on both channels. One input tube was noisy and had to be replaced. Hiss is surprising low now, enough for my Titan i. I was able to reduce the hum too but i am still not 100% satisfied.
I found that the sound improved a lot when i took away the metal shielding cylinders on the input tubes. There was a glare that is gone now. They do not much for shielding ether, quite the contrary to my surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r core.jpg (530.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 30th November 2012, 05:01 PM   #7796
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Cool r-cores JG... any hint on how to get some of those ?

News about TS ? (I will build it for sure)

Hi Frans
Like your mention to Keith Laumer
maybe we need to call for Magnus: https://www.google.pt/search?hl=pt-P...0fighter&tbo=d

PS: Outstanding speakers.... better than Apogee ?
Old 30th November 2012, 05:06 PM   #7797
le´flu is offline le´flu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
On a another planet i have improved my Transimpedance Tube Phonostage. Noise is now equally low on both channels.
Hi there Joachim,

did you published the circuit of your Tube-Phonostage - where? I´m quite
interested about it. And if you didn´t please do

Greetings Ulf
Old 30th November 2012, 05:06 PM   #7798
diyAudio Member

I can get this transformers from Japan but as i told you they are not cheep.
I am working still on the input stage of the TS. More later.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:22 PM   #7799
diyAudio Member

Ulf, i did not publish the tube phono and will not do in the future out of good reason.
There is lethal voltage inside and even me had a hard time to make it work properly.
Also i am totally occupied with work. One is to support the Paradise.
One problem is to select the tubes. Maybe only 4 out of 10 are good enough. Also the circuit is very high speed and can go into oszillation fast. Tube swapping is absolutely forbidden. It works only with certain, selected tubes. If the builder decides on other tubes the result will be totally out of my control and that will happen.
I am willing though to play that stage for visitors. It is a one off anyway. I build it as reality check to find out if tubes sound better. I can already say that this stage sounds different then my solid state stages. It has tremendoes speed and energy, especially when an event starts. It really draws the attention when a singer starts to sing or when an instrument starts to play. On the other hand the sound is not that super clean, giving an impression of a certain brownish-golden texture bordering on the slightly hollow and velvety. The solid stage ones also resolve detail better and focus more tightly.
I would say the solid state one win slightly.
The TS on the other hand may make it into something you can build. Basically it is the same topology then the tube stage, single ended, tranconductance input stage, transimpedance RIAA and buffer, single supply, capacitor coupled. It may sound more similar to the tube stage then my other parallel symmetric, direct coupled designs like the Paradise.

Last edited by Joachim Gerhard; 30th November 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #7800
le´flu is offline le´flu  Germany
diyAudio Member

sorry - wrong button - please ignore

Hide this!Advertise here!