Mpp - Page 707 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2012, 11:50 AM   #7061
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Or maybe just settle for something decent and spend more time listening to music
Old 26th August 2012, 12:15 PM   #7062
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
You could build yourself a phono pre with multiple distinct flavored stages, instead of a preamp with a lot of inputs.
It's called a novelty.
Lacking Girlfriend / Wife that likes lots of boxes (although she like listening to them) I would really like a Phono stage where I can tune in different flavours.

(Talking about sound signature in respect to Paradise would be great injustice)

So we go back to my earlier question
What is that causes a gain stage to have wide sound stage.

Earlier on Joachim (?) posted an interesting article Small-Signal Distortion in Feedback Amplifiers for Audio, (sorry lost the link) the answer may be there.

We have same agreement (or sort of) that Simplistic has a wide sound stage and this is due to topology.

So search for this ingredient is IMO quite interesting.

Maybe simulation can help
Does any one have Paradise Simulation file to try out?

yes it would be a novelty as far as one forghet that same alkemist designed an amplifier that would reproduce the sound of same others amplifiers.

we reserve the right to corect spelling mistakes from time to time
Old 26th August 2012, 12:21 PM   #7063
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdul View Post
Or maybe just settle for something decent and spend more time listening to music
Sorry my friend but what is gain of this kind of post?

I am here to learn and I have a few realy decent Phono stages to which I listen to as much as I can.

You?
Old 26th August 2012, 01:35 PM   #7064
MiiB is online now MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

one specific diffidence is the natural distortion of the paradise...in the lower frequencies it has the most, and as frequency gets higher distortion gets lower.. but Iam not too sure that what you say is valid... Sound-staging has also at lot to do with speakers and environment and the two phono-stages moved here may produce totally different results. here my sound-stage changes if I change polarity of my main cables...Try changing it on your paradise and you may get a chock..

also the foundation for your boxes need to be good.. try some decoupling like the NO-sort-kones...if you place it on rubber feet, all gets swamped and the sound gets flat and narrow..

Point is that a lot has influence on the sound and sound-stage.. not only the circuit.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:48 PM   #7065
diyAudio Member

I made good experiences with spruce boards.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:48 PM   #7066
diyAudio Member

Yes, the polarity of the mains influences the sound stage.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:50 PM   #7067
diyAudio Member

Also where you put the pre regulator. Salas is right, the power transformer can stray into the system. Do not forget the cabling.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:54 PM   #7068
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

And one should never forget cart loading resistor type also.... It can make BIG differences.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:54 PM   #7069
diyAudio Member

An impression of a bigger soundstage can also come when the system has some crosstalk.
That is counter intuitive but you may remember sound processors from the 70th that did exactly that. This is because the left speaker idles into the right ear and the other way around so bleeding some signal from one channel into the other makes the soundstage wider, that is often done in headphone amps. See many circuits at the Headwize forum.
That is one reason i put my speakers wide apart and sit close.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:00 PM   #7070
diyAudio Member

Yes, Ricardo, that is true. The first time i heard that not only the value of the loading resistor makes a difference but also the type was from Prof. Hawkford at the end of the 80th. When they made the Essex Equalizer, that was maybe one of the first transimpedance phono stages, they found that when they put the needle into the lead in grove that the NOISE sounded different. He claimed that he got so good he could identify the type of resistor just by listening to the grove noise. They decided on a Shinko tantalum
in the end. I use Dale RS65. Soory to repeat me, but this has also an influence on the soundstage. The ear is very good at analyzing noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!