Mpp - Page 682 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 08:49 AM   #6811
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
So (what am I going to start now?) how wuld one sligtley increse current on paradise? Just a litle bit mind you.

OR maybe what is a CCS is more apropiate question.

Tweak times already
CCS = constant current source
The CCS basically provides a constant current that flows into the load. The CVS (constant voltage sink) portion of the regulator makes sure the voltage at the load is constant, and it does so by absorbing more or less current. When there is no load, the CVS will absorb the entire CCS current. The higher the load current, the lower the power dissipation in the CVS.

So much for the basics, how to increase the CCS current: spot the resistor marked "X" next to the 10 Ohm resistors. If you put a resistor here (which really is in parallel to the 10 Ohm resistor that sets the current in the first place), the CCS current will increase. Frans has given the equations in a earlier post, but its quite simple, if you put another 10 Ohm resistor here the current will double (watch out for the power dissipation in that resistor though, there is a reason we used a big resistor there).

On the CCS current vs load current: If the CCS current is too low to keep the CVS "alive" all the time, you'll see some nasty stuff happening. Best to run the CVS in a sweet spot where the load variation it will see is small compared to the (DC) current it is running already - just like class A amplifiers..... So more is better. Most comments at least I have heard are that you should target roughly double the load current for the CCS, which I believe is the case here with the Paradise R3.

CVS power dissipation is 18V * CCS current * 2
(Thats what the heatsink can accomodate easily, a couple watts more should not be a problem. Remember to have ventilation in your case - if completely closed, it actually may overheat!!!)

Power resistor dissipation is (CCS current) ^2 * resistor value
(this will give you the dissipation in both resistors together, the current will split according to the resistor values)
Old 16th August 2012, 09:51 AM   #6812
diyAudio Member

Jacco point to right post SCH that I am using at present.
The common mode Coke is one I coked myself the proper one as used by Joachim is earlier on this tread.

I tried to supply Paradise with Zen Mod shunty and as FDW said no point doing so besides the on board supply WORKS

I am using a single pre rectifier board to supply the 2 Channels and this was causing same hiss to be audible after adding a further common mode coke on the output of the pre regulator hiss disappear and al is well.

So for V3 New box and I am going to use separate transformers and pre regulator boards, as those are home brewed I will make provision for the second common mode cokes.
I am not sure if those are needed with 2 separate supplies.
For now this is V2 Beta once V3 boards get here I will build those as specs and use the
V2 to play with the boards are really good and tolerate quite a lot of component swoops
If you are just starting to follow this tread this is virtually the first time that I play with BJT and apart from one capacitor placed the wrong way they worked straight away as I said before the hardest part was clamping the transistors to the sinks but with the clamp this became child play easy peasy.

On the pictures
This is Just beta (rush build as was eager to listen to new FiFi toy)

Pre-Regulator boards

Current enclosure shared with Pumpkin

Current supply (enclosure shared with supply for pumpkin) top has Joachim cokes, botom with home brewed.

If needed I am quite happy to either get pre-regulator desig finalised and provide full drawing for professionaly made boards (design is propiety of MPP Group), or make enquiries for price of small run of boards.

Magic clamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Preregulator 004.jpg (772.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Today I have made this 002.jpg (1,015.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Beta PSU 001.jpg (984.1 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg Let there be light 005.jpg (597.3 KB, 262 views)
Old 16th August 2012, 09:55 AM   #6813
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=hesener;3128314]CCS = constant current source
QUOTE]

Tanks hesener just what I need
Old 16th August 2012, 01:06 PM   #6814
diyAudio Member

I am triing to get same R-Core transformers from Seletronics FR
Transformateur R-CORE à fixation sur châssis 50VA - 2 x 24V - Transformateurs R-CORE pour châssis

Will 2 off those 24 V 50 VA be ok for pardise V3
and when I try to place the order I can't complete the registration as Great Britain is not listed HELP Please?
See Pais listing... Country
Ruawnda is still in the list but it has not been on this planet for quite same time as far as I know

Last edited by Bksabath; 16th August 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 16th August 2012, 01:21 PM   #6815
heinz1 is offline heinz1  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:

and when I try to place the order I can't complete the registration as Great Britain is not listed HELP Please?
See Pais listing... Country
Ruawnda is still in the list but it has not been on this planet for quite same time as far as I know
I have just registered there; I think "Royaume-Uni" which is in the "pays" list the should be appropriate.

Royaume-Uni - Wikipédia

Do you speak French? If not, I could help you by PM.
Old 16th August 2012, 01:36 PM   #6816
diyAudio Member

Tanks Heinz
My French is realy poor
Pastis s'il vous plaît and La Dictions s'il vous plaît is about it
I used Gogle translate at times but is only as clever (Dumb) as the one typing
so Merci mes Ami
Great for PM help
Old 16th August 2012, 01:55 PM   #6817
diyAudio Member

That is sorted
Trafos and same prety Silmic caps to try out as well
Box in 304 Stainless Steel cut metal sorted as well
Tig welding lessons in progress...
Gona be listening for same records now..
Ego sum Etiam
Old 16th August 2012, 02:34 PM   #6818
heinz1 is offline heinz1  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is sorted ...
You're welcome.
Old 16th August 2012, 03:22 PM   #6819
diyAudio Member

Mpp

Sorry Joachim, to take back this old post but I want to try this pre, in the balance control you used a linear pot , am'I correct?
Old 16th August 2012, 03:36 PM   #6820
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mpp

Hoplahop ?

Hide this!Advertise here!