Mpp - Page 664 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2012, 06:52 PM   #6631
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

sorry to say,, but I do wonder how you can test a cap with a tweeter and speaker like that. This should not be an equipment battle. but I can assure you I have plenty..

The big Teflon caps does suffer from induction alone to size.. also to mechancal stability.. as the Teflon cant be baked to shrink the way a material like polypropylene can.. I have had my way around Cap production for quite a few years.. I have even designed some. Here you're talking against substantiated knowledge.. It may be so that it performs better in your system, but then only because it suits your taste better.
Old 9th August 2012, 06:59 PM   #6632
diyAudio Member

We will see. I certainly apreciate Stefanos attempt to make an all out version. That shows that he respects our design. On the other hand we really have to focus now to help 200
people to build the stage as is.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:04 PM   #6633
diyAudio Member

The caps in the Paradise RIIA will produce much less distortion compared to be directly in the signal chain or in a conventional passive or feedback stage. That is because we feed them with current and they are shunted to ground. You could even use a rusty nail.
I did not talk much about this before but we use modulated current here.
On the other hand i am looking forward to Stefanos build. We can only learn when we allow freedom of choice.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:04 PM   #6634
diyAudio Member

mmmm I wonder if you ever listened properly to an 800 Signature before

Anyway, I don't question you have knowledge on how a capacitor works.
The fact that the V-Caps performs better is not only my personal taste.
You can read a ton of capacitor's comparison online and I personally think that all these people are not dumb.
And in the end I test it my own and most of the time I share the same impression they had.

When I design high frequency equipment, or embedded circuits, or power generators or switching supply for avionic industry whatever, I do consider all these parameters such as parasitic capacitance, inductance, vibration strenght and bla bla bla.
When I switch to audio, my final judge is my ear when fine tuning.

That alone tells me that in this case size don't matter and again, this is not only my opinion!
I don't know what system you have but again final result will be stricktly correlated to it!
Old 9th August 2012, 07:05 PM   #6635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
We will see. I certainly apreciate Stefanos attempt to make an all out version. That shows that he respects our design. On the other hand we really have to focus now to help 200
people to build the stage as is.
Thank you very much.
I do have a lot of respect for this design as you know already!
Old 9th August 2012, 07:06 PM   #6636
diyAudio Member

I am looking forward to our meeting in September in my place. Then we can compare and listen, no end. My wife is a great cook by the way.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:08 PM   #6637
diyAudio Member

sure.. an all out version would be fantastic... but all out where....lots of gains possible on the PSU side, on the resistor side and also on the PCB side, but when it comes to woodo I do have a hard time.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:17 PM   #6638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiB View Post
sure.. an all out version would be fantastic... but all out where....lots of gains possible on the PSU side, on the resistor side and also on the PCB side, but when it comes to woodo I do have a hard time.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:18 PM   #6639
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I am looking forward to our meeting in September in my place. Then we can compare and listen, no end. My wife is a great cook by the way.
was the invite for me?

I like to eat
Old 9th August 2012, 07:18 PM   #6640
diyAudio Member

The current approach is actually some of the reason this design is a lot different from other Riaa's.. distortion falls with frequency, and as such i much more true to tha way nature distorts.

Hide this!Advertise here!