Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 04:37 PM   #6551
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What is the point of a truly linear riaa.... Ok I know the answer to that, but the fact is that records are not cut that precise. This lift makes most records listenable, not only those cut on the warm side of the curve. I'd rather be able to listen to all my records with good result, than have to ditch half, due to an absoluteness to accuracy. To me a Riaa is for decoding the music, not decoding the record...(does it make sense...??

Off course people may alter values as they please, but for most I'd recommend that the slight base lift is kept.

Salas...The impedance of the mirrors here is primarily set by the impedance of the current source driving them, there are two things to say about the mirrors, one is impedance, the other is current gain. The latter determines the offset, the first has influence on the RIAA network. The impedance ha also great influence on the distortion spectra of the RIAA. The current gain balance is set by the two resistors. the better matched they are, the smaller the offset and the less the servo has to work.

Last edited by MiiB; 3rd August 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:19 PM   #6552
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiB View Post
What is the point of a truly linear riaa.... Ok I know the answer to that, but the fact is that records are not cut that precise. This lift makes most records listenable, not only those cut on the warm side of the curve. I'd rather be able to listen to all my records with good result, than have to ditch half, due to an absoluteness to accuracy. To me a Riaa is for decoding the music, not decoding the record...(does it make sense...??

Off course people may alter values as they please, but for most I'd recommend that the slight base lift is kept.

Salas...The impedance of the mirrors here is primarily set by the impedance of the current source driving them, there are two things to say about the mirrors, one is impedance, the other is current gain. The latter determines the offset, the first has influence on the RIAA network. The impedance ha also great influence on the distortion spectra of the RIAA. The current gain balance is set by the two resistors. the better matched they are, the smaller the offset and the less the servo has to work.

And that is why 99% of my vinyl collection is pure audiophile pressing.
If you are striving for the top quality on the design you can't then put on vinyls pressed and mastered using low quality/old equipment.
Now if just want to listen specific music that you can't find in audiopile grade, then I find my self I am better off listening to it in digital format.

This is just my opinion...
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:33 PM   #6553
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Talking the 120R ones? Face to face bonding of mirror BJTs non critical?
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:38 PM   #6554
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=MiiB;3113820]What is the point of a truly linear riaa.... Ok I know the answer to that, but the fact is that records are not cut that precise. This lift makes most records listenable, not only those cut on the warm side of the curve. I'd rather be able to listen to all my records with good result, than have to ditch half, due to an absoluteness to accuracy. To me a Riaa is for decoding the music, not decoding the record...(does it make sense...??

QUOTE]

And then consider all the works that happens in the recording studio and all those fancy knobs on the desk and so on and once on tape same more knobs get twisted around just to get the right number of tracks with the right lenght in the limited space a LP offers.
And then the Neuman resistor that never realy had a value to start with

But if one got a precise start point then things wont be much different between extremes.

IMO capacitors at 1% are fine by me I am more concerned with the flavor they may ad (coloration to harsh word for Paradise)

So if teflon is the way count me in for GB but also stiroflex from LCR are prety good, they do brighten up the sound in my personal experiece but then this may be just what my old and worn ears need.

And then I would realy like to try same Z foils for the RIAA as signal go troug those before it ge dumped to ground by the caps

In the mean time sorry if not here to often it is difficoult to leave the Spinner alone latley

Last edited by Bksabath; 3rd August 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:47 PM   #6555
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Bksabath;3113901]
Quote:

QUOTE]

And then consider all the works that happens in the recording studio and all those fancy knobs on the desk and so on and once on tape same more knobs get twisted around just to get the right number of tracks with the right lenght in the limited space a LP offers.
And then the Neuman resistor that never realy had a value to start with

But if one got a precise start point then things wont be much different between extremes.

IMO capacitors at 1% are fine by me I am more concerned with the flavor they may ad (coloration to harsh word for Paradise)

So if teflon is the way count me in for GB but also stiroflex from LCR are prety good, they do brighten up the sound in my personal experiece but then this may be just what my old and worn ears need.

In the mean time sorry if not here to often it is difficoult to leave the Spinner alone latley

I fully agree with you. There are already a lot of compensation durind the process.
So I would stick as much as possible to the standard curve without worrying too much.
also, like you said the most important thing is the sound signature introduced by the capacitors and the Teflon V-CAP CuTFT is the best capacitor I have ever tried period.
If we get to the point to do a group by for these caps and have them on the phono, you will see how good they can sound...they will re-define the standard for capacitors.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:51 PM   #6556
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Just finished sorting the BC's (again) and numbered the board acording to the schematic... Please have a look and let me know if there are no errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paradise R2 numbered.jpg (212.8 KB, 259 views)
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:54 PM   #6557
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi Miib
What resistors are you refering to ?
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:20 PM   #6558
diyAudio Member

Quote:

@ all the wise guys,
will there be, one day, a guide to all these, for the innocent fool,
as me ?
In this thread is so much knowledge assembled, it would take another lifetime for me to get rid with it.
Please, if i'm not asking for to much, please, somebody should help us (yes i do think i'm not alone) translate a bit for the dumb.
Let me say, in my opinion, this is by far the best thread i had the joy to follow !
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:21 PM   #6559
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And that is why 99% of my vinyl collection is pure audiophile pressing.
If you are striving for the top quality on the design you can't then put on vinyls pressed and mastered using low quality/old equipment.
Now if just want to listen specific music that you can't find in audiopile grade, then I find my self I am better off listening to it in digital format.
Poor you....Do you have any idea about the treasures you missing out on...??
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:54 PM   #6560
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto View Post
by far the best thread i had the joy to follow
Mr Gerhard still is a breath of fresh air (and he does phono)

Hide this!Advertise here!