Mpp - Page 634 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 03:49 PM   #6331
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I have now put this DA converter in my system. I had supplied the buffer with 2 x 9V batteries but this sounds better. I hear more details and resolution. It is also cleaner and more dynamic.
Thanks Frans for this nice little thingy.
I,m glad to be of service (One Is Glad To Be Of Service - YouTube), the DA/Buffer looks nice.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:00 PM   #6332
diyAudio Member

(:
the DAC is very small but it sounds really good.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:35 PM   #6333
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Stefan Joachim is the one with the many cicuits so he's the one to comment on the differences.
The paradise circuit is NON-feedback...you can create the Neuman pole by inserting a resistor in the riaa network, as it is here it track the riaa curve beyond 300 KHz, It has a slight lift of app 0.5 dB in the deep base, this is deliberate and within RIAA tolerances, but can objectivity be adjusted by lowering one resistor in the RIAA network..

The problem/challenge in the starlless-Sampler circuit is how to keep the two benches from drifting..Its not to my knowledge possible to servo the two separate balanced outputs.

Last edited by MiiB; 24th July 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:59 PM   #6334
diyAudio Member

Yes, a common mode servo is possible. The ones i know are in the signal path though. I use
such an arrangement in the FPS i did for Jan Diddens Linear Audio. It is in Bob Cordells book.
Comparing the Paradise R1 to R2 there are differences. The older version is kind of cozy and inviting. Nothing sticks out as any bad so it is well balanced.
I have several phonos here that sound quite similar with less complicated circuits so i would say that the first Paradise is very good but somehow the very complex circuit may not be necessary.
The new version is much more dynamic, open and exiting. The quality of the bass is extraordinary. There is a lot of punch and drama. It also worked right away so it is much easier to build then the older version. I am definitely recommending the R2.
It is one of the finest stages i heard, no matter how expensive.
Old 24th July 2012, 06:56 PM   #6335
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
...... R2.
It is one of the finest stages i heard, no matter how expensive.
Hear the master's voice.... I don't claim to have golden ears but could not agree more..... It certainly saved me from spending BIG money on worse equipment!

Now the problem is with the turntable and cartridge...
Old 24th July 2012, 07:11 PM   #6336
diyAudio Member

I have ears good enough to be quite certain when i hear something that is out of the ordinary. The R2 is such an ear opener. Better still it can be build without much to spend.
The only exotics are the 2SK170 JFets. I think in the constant current sources they can be replaced with other N-Channels with a small modification to set the idle.
Old 24th July 2012, 07:15 PM   #6337
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
Hear the master's voice.... I don't claim to have golden ears but could not agree more..... It certainly saved me from spending BIG money on worse equipment!

Now the problem is with the turntable and cartridge...
I beg to differ (in a way). In my opinion there is no problem (never bin), all these items in the audio chain are like musical instruments. The chain includes, the original instrument, its surroundings (music hall, cafe ...), the audience (more people is more damping), the microphone, the recording device, the mixing device, the person doing the mixing, the information caring device (LP, CD, tape ...), the playback device (pre-amp, amp), the loudspeakers, the placement of these, the listening position, and the listening surroundings (most probably I forgot some).

There is only one place where the sound is/was like original, and that place is at the start of the chain. There is only one place like home, and that is at the end of the chain. Whatever you do in between it will change the sound, this change can be destructive or it can improve the original (at itís input). It will never be transparent (even air is not, and a vacuum may be inert, but it does not transmit sound, most probably a massive block of metal will be the best, but there is no room for a listener in there).

My conclusion is, we need not to improve the items in between (in the sense that we are trying to make them pass the original, that will be impossible), we just need to make them sound as we like, and that will be different for each person. Or, as the ATL guys say, improvement is futile
Old 24th July 2012, 07:17 PM   #6338
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Yes.. shunts can surely sound more detailed and dynamic than batteries.

Sorry for the off topic but I could not help myself: Synergy Aircraft
Old 24th July 2012, 07:23 PM   #6339
diyAudio Member

Sure Frans. On the other hand i plan a meeting of us and then you can listen to my system. I think it is up to the task of differentiating phono stages.
Old 24th July 2012, 07:23 PM   #6340
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
My conclusion is, we need not to improve the items in between (in the sense that we are trying to make them pass the original, that will be impossible), we just need to make them sound as we like, and that will be different for each person. Or, as the ATL guys say, improvement is futile
I do agree with you.... as long as it sounds as we like.....

Hide this!Advertise here!