Mpp - Page 632 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2012, 10:56 PM   #6311
diyAudio Member

The drop over the current setting resistors R1, R7 is also a bit different. Maybe they can be adjusted to make the output voltage similar,
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:03 PM   #6312
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Today I removed the heatsink... not a big deal after all

But now I found that hesener did change radically the negative shunt .... I did not know that and my attempt to get the correct voltages might have been very wrong.

Must speak with him to understand the mods.
Yes, I must confess that I did use your boards to test various mods to get rid of those oscillations in the current source. Finally I could not remove them completely, but the new version (r2) does not have that problem at all.

For fear of making you laugh, if you want you can send that board back to me and I will take a look and fix it (in fact, send both so I can compare....)

The joys of being a beta builder - Ricardo you are experiencing them in full beauty ;-)
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:06 PM   #6313
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Done all the PCB modifications for R2 as suggested by all the beta builders, and with a little bit more processing the group buy should start soon now ;-)

I know from at least one happy beta builder that the sound of his R2's is very nice and still improving a little bit, so its definitely a winner! Comparing the BOM cost (probably around 100 euro) to the quality I think it is hard to beat.....
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:18 PM   #6314
diyAudio Member

Yes, the sound from the R2 is amasing. I would be hard pressed to build a better stage.
There is of cause the option to use extremely expensive parts like Vishey bulk foils and Black gates plus aged silver wire. The Preregulator can also being blown up to any size.
Its time to buy a better turntable, arm and cartridge boys. That can be VERY expensive.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:22 PM   #6315
diyAudio Member

Btw,
what would you guys suggest as a budget cart
for a midweight Sumiko/Jelco-Arm ?
Old 24th July 2012, 12:04 AM   #6316
diyAudio Member

A Technics-Panasonic MC from the 70th , 80th.
You can get it for 100$ brand new on the web.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:07 AM   #6317
diyAudio Member

Also older high output MCs from Audio Technica. Andre`, our russian friend had one in his Frickelfest system last year. That really rocked the place in a heavy modified Lenco L75.
He found it in the waiste, after 20 years of sitting there. There are a lot of great cartridges from the 70th. Sony, Dynavector, Denon etc. That was the golden age.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:09 AM   #6318
diyAudio Member

I remember that Thelen in Wuppertal had a huge box with used cartriges he collected over the years. Visit him and look if you find something for free.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:18 AM   #6319
diyAudio Member

I am catching up with this amazing thread!
I think this is one of the best si far!

Reading the various version...

I was very intrigued by the starless balanced topology (balance in/ balance out).

I was wondering why it was never further developed.
If it was could anybody please link me to the final schematic? Or otherwise I would me more than happy to interact and help prototyping making measurements and pcb!

That seems to be such a neat schematic..
Old 24th July 2012, 12:38 AM   #6320
diyAudio Member

Stefano, i have seen that you send me a PM. My box is full but that will be solved soon.
I was working with Sampler on a balanced in - balanced out.
We gave it the name "Masterpiece". There is a schematic somewhere, i have to find it.
The plan is to finish the Paradise R2.
When the beta phase is over and enough work satisfactory we can reconsider the Masterpiece. That is then the final design i would like to finish.
You can search of cause the schematic we already have and we can work together parallel to the Paradise if you want to contribute. My time is limited though for consulting on that at the moment.

Hide this!Advertise here!