Mpp - Page 621 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2012, 07:40 PM   #6201
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Today i listened for the first time to the Paradise R2. WOW! this is the real deal. It is very quiet, more quiet then i can remember the first version was although i play everything right in the open without cabinet. I use the Opus Magnum Preregulator so i run in complete double mono. That shows up in enormous channel separation. The sound is very big, high, wide and deep but extremely well focussed. There is also wonderful depth perspective, some sounds come near to my head and others sound quite far away. My room has some problem to delineate sounds that come from far away so in a room deeper then mine ( 4.35m ) you will get an even deeper soundstage. Bass is exceptional, already noted by Hesener. It does not only have dramatic slam but is also clear, deep and bouncy without sounding overblown. Fundamentals are well fleshed out and musical. Presence range is perfectly linear and low in coloration and high in resolution. The treble is slightly crispy but very low in distortion. The whole effect is very wide band and dynamic. There is a lightness of tone that is hard to describe. Sound is liquid, maybe not as much as from tubes or Fets but the overriding sensation is like a light spring wind with perfect temperature. I highly recommend that we start the group buy soon.
I am very happy to hear that!!! All the hard work in putting in all the improvements and fixes finally pays off.... I will prepare the final touches now, and start the group buy hopefully by end of next week.

Here is the anti-RIAA that I used, please see attached. The values are the exact same values, only that I built 4 of these, to use two per channel for symmetry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anti_RIAA_Joachim.Schaltung.pdf (13.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 12th July 2012, 08:07 PM   #6202
diyAudio Member

Hesener, that is the MC version.
Maybe i connected it wrong.
One small issue remains : There is some fluctuation of the DC offset at the output.
MiiB and i are working on it. No problem.
I heard more today. This is music, no question.
Old 13th July 2012, 05:43 AM   #6203
MiiB is online now MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

One way to limit the servo working hard is to pre adjust the buffer.. Different IDSS JFETs in the current source can give different buffer offsets.
Also the resistors in the current mirrors are a bit critical...to match the currents totally One could go for 0.1% tolerance.

I have selected rather high resistor values in the servo's circuit connection, this to shield it max from the signal path, but it's really overkill as it is already shielded behind a high impedance mirror, by lowering the resistor values the the servo gets more authority.
Old 13th July 2012, 07:50 AM   #6204
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Michael, i will try that. It is not a big deal anyway but output offset could be a bit more stable.
I measure exactly 1.444V over all current mirror resistors ( i checked only one channel ) and Idss was matched in the buffer, again not better then 10%.
I will try to lower the resistors after the servo for more authority.
I listened more with my son and his friend yesterday night. We had a lot of fun.
Harry Bellafonte, Level 42, Joni Mitchell, Dido, Luis Armstrong and Duke Ellington, SOS Band and more. Today i will listen to classical and Jazz. I have played some classical and it worked fine.
Old 13th July 2012, 08:49 AM   #6206
diyAudio Member

Elektor Weekly #383
Old 13th July 2012, 09:49 AM   #6207
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

nano void jfet.... mini tubes aparently

Hi Joachim, I noticed a generous reduction in input offset just by connecting a Denon cart... I will listen to the rig this week (hopefully).

As for output offset, It exists but in a small scale... I will wait for the outcome of your experiments with opamp feedback resistors
Old 13th July 2012, 10:16 AM   #6208
diyAudio Member

Yes, i will look into the offset issue today. Good that the input DC level went down.
By the way, the Paradise and the Pardise R2 are not biased optimally for the Denon DL103. It is more optimized for cartridges under 10 Ohm. Lowering the bias would lower the input offset but then we would also run out of steam to drive the RIIA.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:55 AM   #6209
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Would you sum up a list of usable carts ?
Old 13th July 2012, 01:45 PM   #6210
diyAudio Member

The Denon DL103 is usable but there may be a little rest of offset.
I made a list of cartridges in Linear Audio 0.
I have to look that up.

Hide this!Advertise here!