MPP

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess we all need a small dead bug construction headphones amp to fit in our phono stages as standard. So we can listen to vinyl at night without feeding through preamps, interconnects, stand alone headphones amps. It can be a an integrated phono-phones-preamp even if we steal for current boosted RCA output too. What do you think?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its the 2N54XX are good and linear but they lack current. But have low Ciss, Crss and noise on the other hand. So BJTs are needed to boost. And here is the original from the 90's. JLH used 2N54XX indeed!:up:

Attachments

• jlhphonesfig3.gif
    jlhphonesfig3.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 488
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good turntables are not expensive any more.
For example Clearaudio and Rega make good packages of turntable, arm and cart. for
1000,- - 2000,-€. Later a better cart. can be added.
There is also a lot of good stuff on the used market.
Errata : Ikoflexer found a small mistake in circuit post 1088.
The LME49713 op amps PSU connection is reversed. Pin 4 should go to - supply and pin 7
should go to + supply of cause.

A Rega P3 + arm went on eBay yesterday for 277 euro....

jd

I found a JLH buffer with higher current output, usable as headphone buffer.
It is called a Jisbos and was posted by Juma. Good soundquality is reported.
i have and idea of an even simper 4 transistor buffer with gain, based on folded cascode priciples like in the MPP. I will post that later.
Today i am building the darlington version of the JLH buffer.

Attachments

• Jisbos Headphone Buffer.TSC - TINA.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 237
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now I think if we put BD139,140 directly in the JLH Jfet-BJT compound follower, maybe we can directly drive headphones with just 4 semiconductors and a healthy voltage input for it?

That should be posible.
The circuit as is can drive 150 Ohm, so even that circuit could already drive high impedance phones.

I found a JLH buffer with higher current output, usable as headphone buffer.
It is called a Jisbos and was posted by Juma. Good soundquality is reported.
i have and idea of an even simper 4 transistor buffer with gain, based on folded cascode priciples like in the MPP. I will post that later.
Today i am building the darlington version of the JLH buffer.

Aha, that was tried after all. Cool. Now if you will add some gain successfully too, we talk a very diy friendly solution. Good luck.

One channel of the JG Self is up and running.
No hum and very low noise. This new AD chip is superbly quiet.
I listened to headphones ( Sennheiser HD280 Pro) and drive is ample and clean.
Offset can be adjusted with the trimmer in the buffer so a servo is not neccesarry
Ofset before the subsonic filter is around 200mV and 1mV after it, so this is no problem.
Offset is a bit dependent on the setting of the volume control. It is 0.4mV full down and -0.5mV full up. I think that is no big deal.

Attachments

• JG Self Right Channel.jpg
    JG Self Right Channel.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 477
  • JG Self Full Down.jpg
    JG Self Full Down.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 468
  • JG Self Offset Full Up.jpg
    JG Self Offset Full Up.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 446
Self ready

The JG Self is ready in Stereo. It´s quiet like a brick and worked right away.
It even drives the AKG701 to decent volume. That LME49713 is powerfull.
Bass is tight, fast and clean. No question the result of the well designd subsonic filter.
Tomorrow i listen over loudspeakers but i know what to expect.
The sound has a kind of vintage character that is typical for a design with english genes.
Very neutral and nothing is overemphasized. Each intrument has the same proportion so to say. RIAA should be superbly accurate anyway.
i got a new poweramplifier on lone. It is a Berentzen Special Edition so i am much looking forward to the tomorrow session.
By the way, the Baxandall active volume control works superbly well. It´s a shame that it is not used more. I use a Vishay-Spectrol 148 conductive plastic and channel balance is superp without using an exotic pot. That Spectrol costs around 10,-€ at Farnell.

Attachments

• Ohne Titel.jpg
    Ohne Titel.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 374