MPP

Any other low noise bipolar transistor can be used.

You can convert to npn transistors also:
- leave the circuit and transistor connections as they are,
- reverse polarity of both supplies in the schematic and
- reverse polarity of all electrolytic caps.

These hints are for the first picture in the linked article.

I use the zeetex low rbb transistors in a phono stage, but I have also used biss transistors.. somehow they tend to sound more crisp and direct. Jfets are dull and noisy but not leaking. A real issue with bjts are base current. I have solved this by running them in floating balanced inputs and then really make an effort to pair the input transistor-pair. I have also made a servoed version where I mirror in the driving currents of each transistor and then let ithe nput DC differential drive the currents. The bjts are so quiet that only one pair is needed

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I use the zeetex low rbb transistors in a phono stage, but I have also used biss transistors.. somehow they tend to sound more crisp and direct. Jfets are dull and noisy but not leaking. A real issue with bjts are base current. I have solved this by running them in floating balanced inputs and then really make an effort to pair the input transistor-pair. I have also made a servoed version where I mirror in the driving currents of each transistor and then let ithe nput DC differential drive the currents. The bjts are so quiet that only one pair is needed

I did not find jfets to be dull.... and they do sound good if well used :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have two MC cartridges: Audiotechnica OC9 mark II and Denon DL-103R. I am currently using a pair of Hashimoto HM-3 SUT’s alternatively with a pair of Siemens T42/2e.

What do you think? According to your experience, would this SS preamp be better sounding than the SUT’s?

Hi saptemari

This prepre can be very good if you care about the psu :)