Mpp - Page 451 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2012, 08:37 PM   #4501
diyAudio Member

The time of high end audio is long gone. Levinson the man said that to me in the 80th.
Original Mark Levinson and Threshold, that was High End. When i looked into that equipment in the 70th i was breathless, i could not sleep, i could not eat. I simply had to get that stuff. So we young guys put our last penny together and shared the equipment. I simply do not feel that desire any more when i walk a show. Today it is a busyness.
This guys simply tried to build the best they could, no expense spared and they produced master pieces of art and technology. Even visually but that was more a consequence of a heart felt "inner quality. It was beautiful because it was made by beautiful people ( inside ). Today it is a combination of visual design and reputation.
Technology is there, in spades, right in the open on the web. But where is the sprit in the machine ?
Old 17th January 2012, 08:42 PM   #4502
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Joachim Gerard

Audiofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The time of high end audio is long gone. Levinson the man said that to me in the 80th.
Original Mark Levinson and Threshold, that was High End. When i looked into that equipment in the 70th i was breathless, i could not sleep, i could not eat. I simply had to get that stuff. So we young guys put our last penny together and shared the equipment. I simply do not feel that desire any more when i walk a show. Today it is a busyness.
This guys simply tried to build the best they could, no expense spared and they produced master pieces of art and technology. Even visually but that was more a consequence of a heart felt "inner quality. It was beautiful because it was made by beautiful people ( inside ). Today it is a combination of visual design and reputation.
Technology is there, in spades, right in the open on the web. But where is the sprit in the machine ?
Old 17th January 2012, 09:33 PM   #4503
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
High end is gone, it has devolved from 'High Quality' to 'High Commercial Value' it is a real pity; especially in the late 80s and early 90s (as you said) it was at its pinnacle. Not to say it is not of high quality nowadays, but it no longer it is ‘State Of The Art’ (the soul has gone).
Old 17th January 2012, 09:36 PM   #4504
diyAudio Member

We have good spirit here. i am very satisfied how our project develops.
Tomorrow i get my boards. I hope i have all the components i need but i will not rush this.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:40 PM   #4505
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I see you Joachim... I have no answers - but really - arn't you a bit restraint in your writing?.

We are so condemned to not look outside of the physics revealed by universities and religion. We are here to know or place and not look outside what have been decided to be our destiny. I use that as toiletpaper every morning. Heck - I believe in whatever until it is proven not to work :-) I don't dissmiss the floatation of tibetanian monks - what do I know? I know it haven't been proven to me that it doesn't work whatever youtube clips that might be thrown at me. Proven to others? I care not. Some things is to be revealed now, other things later. We will all know when by instinct when the time is right. Sorry to be owerly metaphysic - just my inner workings...

Send or not send? Heck - I'll send...

Brgds
Old 17th January 2012, 09:57 PM   #4506
diyAudio Member

Being true to physics and mathematics is hard spiritual work. I understand and respect your position. I see it kind of opposite. The truth is there, it is an open secret so to say.
I am just blind, deef and can not speak.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:08 PM   #4507
diyAudio Member

This is High End.
Attached Images
File Type: png High End.png (37.0 KB, 251 views)
Old 17th January 2012, 10:12 PM   #4508
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

for me high-end has just started....og i hope it starts, but recently walking the halls of Venetian..I am not really sure. I believe that there newer have been so many people listening to two channel music as today, but I truly understand why we don't see them beyond the headphones... High-End as a general simply can't create the excitement. Plenty of sterile cold an unengaging sounds emerging from multi mega dollar setups...SAD-SAD...must say we'ed better shape-up if we want too survive as a business. Too much development is stepping sideways and making the same in new boxes, almost same quality but cheaper, preferably much cheaper..But what else to expect when most know-how has been sold or outsources to countries just vest of the rising sun...

quess one better keep nose in the track and move forward....

This here is to me a huge step forward, better specs lower, noise, extremely good distortion profile like the human ear falling with frequency. No hard to get FETS..DC-coupled-Good housholding, nice shunt PSU. Looks good, and at least to me a true RIAA developent...
Old 17th January 2012, 10:15 PM   #4509
diyAudio Member

This too....
High End is everything today, High End cars, High End watches, High End boats, everything. Some people think that they are at the high end.
Harry Pearson invented the term plus most of the language like "Soundstage", "Imaging",
"Low Level Detail", "Dark Grey Bass With A Vervet Iron Fist" ....
Attached Images
File Type: png High End 2.png (5.9 KB, 246 views)
Old 17th January 2012, 10:37 PM   #4510
diyAudio Member

People get confused when they hear more then two channels, plus the room reflexions.
Please solve an 11 dimensional matrix for me. Now we talk string theory. 11 channels are the minimum for wave field synthesis. Guess who had the worse sound i ever heard on a High End Show ? Our own Fraunhofer Institute. I feel ashamed. Brilliant scientists.
Maybe i am too pre conditions to get it but the booth was totally empty, all the time. A scare crow, please forgive me but i was very disappointed and frustrated.
The multi channel market is dead in Germany. A multi channel receiver only sells under 600,-€ so it has reached what we called the working class in the 70th. I come from a working class family so i know what i am talking about. This is what they think is the ultimate luxury and they mean good. They just do not have the energy after a very hard working day to make the brain work.
There is a tiny market for multi channel SACD. Mostly people interested in classical.
Sure when you sit in the 20th row of a concert hall you appreciate a huge amount of diffuseness. By the way most professional musicians are not very attracted to what we call good sound. I would say that Jazz musicians and modern composers have a certain attraction to what we call "sound". I have to think deeper about this phenomenon.

Hide this!Advertise here!